• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply 12V Line

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowus

Just lately I having been having reboots thru out the day when I check my power supply my +12V is always on the low end like 11.70-11.95 and never at 12.00 is it possible this could be the reason for the reboots out of nowhere?The other rails (+3.3and+5 seem to be normal to me .System is overclocked alittle 144FSB and I am running at stock volts..Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.Thanks JS

I have run at 11.7v (indicated) with no trouble on some systems.

Have you checked the 12v line at a molex?

What are the temps like?

What exactly is the 5v reading? That is usually the problem voltage: anything below 4.84v is very suspect.

Temps are 37c loaded and the +5 rail is currently at 4.92.I am now thinking that maybe I just need to increase the stock voltage and see if that helps....Thanks For reply.JS

Replying and trying to help is what its about :D

You may be right that you just need to tweak the voltage up a bit, but that 12v IS a bit on the low side....checking a molex if you can could give you an answer:
if the molex reading is good you may just have a loose ATX connector.

This can be fixed!

If the molex reading is also low then you may be limited by the psu.......try disconnecting as many drives, etc as you can and see if the voltage changes (much.)

It should not change by much, so if it does.....psu is probably the culprit.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the suggestion .Are you saying to disconnect like dvd or cd or floppy while the comp is running.I have MBM so I could have the screen up to see if this does make changes when I disconnect any of these devices.Thanks.JS

Thanks Tismedt I was kinda of confused on that issue .I didnt think I was suppose but I wasnt sure.Thanks For The Help.Much Appreciated.JS

as a general rule, don't unplug anything that is inside your case while your computer is on... with sata drives and their special grounding technique, you make be able to hot swap drives in the future, but do not do it now... the proper grounding will not be maintained while the + and - are being removed and can cause some devices to fry, or everything in case for all that goes... (worst case scenario of course) :D

Back