• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would it really be worth my money and time to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Well, right now Im on my little 1600+ (crappy steppings so Im at stock right now). Would I notice a big difference in overall performance if I upgrade my memory to PC-3500 or something like that (I have PC-2700). Upgrade the mobo (Nforce 2 or something like that) and a 2100+ (so I can really overclock it to around 2.7) So... With these mods could I notice a big difference in performance? I am of course would be going from 1.4 to about 2.7, but is it really double the performance?

Truthfully 2.7 is a very hard number to reach without alot of cooling and a good powersupply, I would thing 2.3 2.4 would be more reachable since that is almost a 700 mhz overclock, people reaching 2.5 to 2.6 are using major voltage and major cooling...

LOL- love that sig, man!

In answer to the question:
could you see a difference? Yes.

Would it be worth spending the money? Not in my opinion; not as an upgrade.

Now building an ADDITIONAL computer is a different question entirely:D

Yeah you'd see a difference. 2.7GHz is almost twice as fast as a 1600+ stock(1.4GHz). I'd like to see a 2100+ get to 2.7 but that may be a bit of a stretch, but could happen with proper cooling. It won't be twice as fast but it would be noticably quicker.

perfomance? yes but only in bechies.
fun? oh heck yeh! the possabilities are alomst endless.
but the fun factor is what u want,and once u hit that realm all i can say is hang on to the $$$ till it hurts as it only gets better!

Heh yeah the fun factor of a 2100+ is great. I would expect 2.3-2.4. Its possible to get more but I would not assume such a great oc.

Back