• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i wanna reformat but lost my xp cd... is the cdkey stored in registry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
your brothers cd shouldn't work using your cd key. you would have to use your brothers cd key witch would be steeling! now if you lost the key and not the cd this wouldn't be a problem.

I tried using a different key with my cd once to see if it would work, it didn't.

I think this may be in the grey area. I'm pretty sure M$ would say something like T.F.B. it has been a while since i have read read the E.U.L.A. he does have a valid license though. after all he didn't buy the cd, he but a license to use the software that was on it (WindowsXP).

it's gonna depend on you talk to. I would say it's probably not illeagal, but some might say otherwise.

Sorry to tell you this but, Microsoft stores a numerical profile of your computer and the cd serial number when you activate. It's high tech encripted forget using your brothers disk, it won't work worse it may kill your brothers ability to activate if he needs to re load. However there is a bright spot if you registered your system and have the registration number or the product code off the case Microsoft will usually replace the disk for you. They replaced my Windows 98 disk with just the product code. I don't know what the requirements for XP are but doesn't hurt to ask.

that is not the cd key used when installing windows, the cd key contains letters and numbers that code only contains numbers. I beileve this may be the hash code that windows creates from your hardware. I may be wrong about the hash code, but it is certainly not the cd key.

my ehm friend has 1 version on 2 computers... it works fine for m.. him... but im pretty sure that its in yoru REG and if it sint there is a file that you can copy and put on a CD so taht as long as you dont change ur stuff around too much you wont have to re-activate it every install just copy the file.. i may have said to much im not sure... lol so ill stop now:D

Any valid CD key should work with any Windows CD. Provided the versions match, key is for Home edition CD is home edition, and the CD isn't an OEM CD. If that's the case you might get a warning such as "This cd is meant to install windows ** on Dell/Gateway/HP computers only". Other than that you should be able to use your brother's CD with your key.

not only will it work (iv done it) but you can at least keep a clear consiounce (sp?) because you did pay for a license.. im not sure if they would do anything or not if they found out...

You bought a licence and you got the software the licence is for on cd they are obligated to replace the software but they do not have to send it for free...

Back