• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bag of tricks for the Newbie OC - your suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkantos

Hello All,

I am a new member both to this forum and to the world of building a computer and oc'ing one.

What I wanted was a basic bag of tricks to have on hand when my components start coming in so I can do it right.

Bag of tricks desired:

1) OS - which is best for stability and oc'ing and where to get it
2) Tools - what do I need? are there good kits and where to get it
3) Software - for benchmarking, temp regulations and the like
4) How to guides - where to get the best info on how to
- Install a PSU
- Install a Mobo
- Install a CPU
- Install a heatsink on to CPU (including lapping guides)
- Install Hardrive/CD/Floppy
- Install Ram
- Install Graphics and Sound card
5) Optimization - tweaking guides and safe oc methods
6) Anything else that y'all have found useful to have on hand

Thanks in advance for this
:)

Just so you know: my current system is an Alienware P3 550 mHZ with dual video TNT2 and Voodoo 3, 256 megs of Ram, with a DVD player, a zip drive, a sony 24/10/40 burner, and a 21" Viewsonic monitor - I can't run Asheron's Call 2 (my impetus to upgrade)

Welcome to the Forums!

Just search around in the stickies of the appropriate sections - they have loads of info. Do you have any specific questions? That would help. Speaking of appropriate sections, this should be in General Computer Related Discussion or General Hardware.

Sorry, I did warn ya - I'm a newbie

I didn't know where to put this. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.
Thanks for your response.

I guess I am lazy and also a little bleary eyed from my hours of pouring over the forum.

What I was aiming for was what a very experienced overclocker has in his/her armamentarium.

That way I get all my info in one post! :D

To clarify my desire:
Scrap the how to's, unless there is one link to get the best one on the net.

What do you have in terms of benching software, tweaking software, oc software that you deem essential to any would be overclocker? (and a link on where to download it)

What tools do you use on a frenquent basis to assemble your computer and do basic mod work? (and are there kits- as I said I am lazy ;) )

And finally, any sage advice on how to proceed with overclocking without frying your components.

Thanks again.

You don't need software to overclock. Overclocking is really easy nowdays and there's a million guides. Most likely all you'd have to do is flip some settings in your bios.

Thanks

Sorry I didn't do my homework better before I started this

No one else needs to respond

Well you are posting in the wrong forum. Overclocking isn't programming. This would probably be better in General Discussion.

1) OS - which is best for stability and oc'ing and where to get it
2) Tools - what do I need? are there good kits and where to get it
3) Software - for benchmarking, temp regulations and the like
4) How to guides - where to get the best info on how to
- Install a PSU
- Install a Mobo
- Install a CPU
- Install a heatsink on to CPU (including lapping guides)
- Install Hardrive/CD/Floppy
- Install Ram
- Install Graphics and Sound card
5) Optimization - tweaking guides and safe oc methods
6) Anything else that y'all have found useful to have on hand

Well the OS is just your desicion... I'd start out with what ya have on hand.
Tools: I built my entire computer with a butter knife..
Benchmarking: Get something like SiSoft Sandra
How to guides? They slot everything nowadays so it only goes in one direction...
Optimization: Pour over the forums...

Once you get all the parts together, and take a good look at em. You will see what i mean about everything only going in one direction. It aint like the old days....

Back