• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All of you transidtor/resistor movers I need your help!!! (need pics hosted too pls)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

All of you transidtor/resistor movers I need your help!!! (need pics hosted too pls)

Is there someone who could host 2 pics for me if I email them to you.

The pics are going to be of a video card, I think a resistor/transistor broke off (and is nowhere to be found). I want to know if there is anything that can be done about this?

Is replacing it an option and if so how do I know what to replace it with.

I have the same video card for reference and a different brand of card for resistor or what ever it was that came off.

Thanks.

Just pulled out my other card thats just like it and there is definitly a transistor/resistor (what ever it it) broken off.

Can I take one off another brand of card, like from a hercules (NVidia) to an ATI card?

what shape is it? transistors have three legs and (usually) a rectangualr shape body. capasitors are brown and have no writing on them, and resistors can be just about any colr but have a number on them - usually a 3 or 4 digit number

i think thats a resistor, the same thing happened on my GF4 Ti4400, but i think the card was dead before it broke off, going to try to RMA it back to PNY anyway..

i think you can purchase those from radio shack or somewhere similiar, but its extremely hard to solder them on properly, you need a very fine tipped iron and really fine solder, i wouldnt try it myself =/

I've heard people take their 9500s to TV repair places and they'll solder them. I can't solder, but paying $10-$15 to salvage it would easily be worth the money.

Any idea where I might beable to find out what kind of resistor I would need?
Another choice would be to let my brother-in-law at it. He took a bunch of electronics classes and used to work on dialysis machines. He doesn't have the soldering tools, but said he can use something like J.B. Wield to attach it, but I'm not sure if I'd trust him with that stuff.

I dont think I would be using the JB Weld... the tv repair man would be a better option. It looks like a resister.

You don't hear it rolling around in your case anywhere do you? Or did you break it off when you were trying to pry off the HS?

Any way. If you look there is one directly to the left which I would bet is exactly the same thing. In fact I am looking at a Radeon 8500le right now and I see that this is located on the GPU side of the card just under and to the right of the Top left RAM chip.

Your RAM chip appears to have some sort of adhesive on it. The missing part is a resistor with a setting of .814 K Ohms (according to my trusty Radio Shack multimeter).

Well its pretty hard to solder thoes from what i hear. Theere has to be something cooling the area constantly to avoid damage from the heat. And the electronic stores that I seen dont sell surface mounted resistors, only the type that has the two wires sticking out from the sides. And you need to know what color it is because thats how they rate its resistance. Thats all i know from the electronics class i took in high school a few years ago.

as far as i can see,unless somebody else who actually has the card can tell, it's a capasitor, thats for sure. you DONT need to cool the area, yo u DONT need fancy equipement to do the job, either.

all you need is a decent iron, and a steady hand lol

anyway, as its a capasitor, i couldnt tell you what it is. and, without circuit diagrams, neither could anybody else without the right test equipement.
your only bet as far as i can see, is to try and find a dead card and take the capasitor from that off (make sure its in the exact same position) and solder that on to your card.

btw - as i said its a capasitor. all surface-mount caps are usually brown, or something near brown such as grey. colour doesnt make any difference. Even if it was a resistor, color still doesnt make a difference.
As i said in an earlier post, surface-mount resistors can be any color. they have a 3 or 4 digit code on them - that's what tell you its value.

Last edited:
Just so you know, I actually have an ATI 8500LE and I took my previous mesurments directly from the resister.

Now if your telling me that it is a capaciter, then it has a resistive quality of .814 KOhms and I couldn't tell you what the capaciters spec is because I do not have the equipment to show that.

Also, if it is just a resister, then you could replace it with any type of resister available, as long as it was close to .8 KOhms (in fact I am sure a 1 KOlm would work fine).

No numbers on it that I can see. If you look at his posted pictures it is exactly like the one to the left of the component.

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/8500res2.JPG

Also you can see two more identical pieces in the top left and top middle of the picture.

Are those caps or resisters? If they are just caps then there is a good chance that you could just use some defogger paint and complete the trace and still have a working card. Just a suggestion.

yep the damaged part is a cap for sure.
see the funny shaped object with the black body directly below the damaged part. thats a resistor - a resistor "network" to be exact (it is actually 4 resistors in one package). notice it has a number printed on it? thats the value of it and having that number that tells you its a resistor.

So its a capacitor, heh.

It doesn't matter to me if its surface mounted or not, so long as it works, but theres no way to know what its vaulue is?

Anyone have a dead 8500/8500le

ps its Arctic Alumina on the ram and I spent 5 hours total on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass and the capacitor is no where to be found.

Thanks for the help, atleast I have some kind of idea what I'm dealing with now.

Just so you know you can purchase them from here,

http://www.mouser.com//index.cfm?handler=listcategory&&categoryid=2

Click on the link for "Capacitors, Ceramic, SMD Chip"

Also it looks like all these types of capacitors are at least 1uF or less.

I would be tempted to do one of the following,

A.) Contact ATI and see if you could get someone to help you find the value and then go to TV repair man.
B.) Get the TV repair man to measure one of the other Caps and have him fix it with a replacement
C.) Fill in the trace with deffoger paint and cross your fingers.
D.) place resister valued at about .8 Kohms and cross your fingers.

Usually Caps are just to help stabilaze a single and really, losing one might not be that big of deal. Why not try option C and if it doesn't work, go to another one?

purly on the basis of what ive seen (i work with surface mount for a living), the most common caps ive seen are 10nf and 100nf. chances are, its either of those. i wouldnt personallky try it myself, but let us know what happens if you do lol

anyway yeah contact either ati or the company who made it (depending on weather companies use the reference design for the board or not) and ask them to tell you what value that cap. is. then youve just gotta get it repaired

Back