• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calm-SV:what liquid do they use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kool savas

I have read this article about a non-pump liquid CPU cooler. http://www.overclockers.com/articles626/

The principle is essentially based on the phase-change principle. The Calm-SV consists of an evaporator (fits on the CPU), condenser (radiator), two tubes connecting them and a liquid which has a very low boiling point.

i want to know what kind of liquid do they use?

i think he wants to know what boils at that temperature liss, not what people use in their regular rigs.

im not sure what the liquid is... i was going to say that it is probably altering the pressure to lower the boiling point of the fluid but i dont think thats possible with that tubing they use.

if you can find out what temperature the evaporator is approximately at then you could go to a chem ref page and look for something with an appropriate boiling point, but that would be guess work at best.

Yes, pressure. In general cooling there's a thread on heat pipes, which this essentially is.

in a non-pump liquid CPU cooler system, I think the heat difference from hot to cold must be quite big, else the water will not move by it selv, it is possible to make this non-pump system, you know the first cars made used this system, but it was not cooling enough so a pump was added to gain more efficiency.

I would say forget it..
Use a small pump 5L/m then use a hose with big innerdiameter, and cooling blocks designed for low water resistance,
then you can connect upto 5-7 blocks in series
and still have exactly the same temperature on all blocks due to the huge flow rate.

Back