• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200 watts for P 4 bd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schneman

Registered
I assume by everything I read that I will need at least a 350 or 400 watt PSU to adequately handle a P 4 2.53 or 2.66 on a Asus P4PE or P4G8X bd?

What are good brands and where to get good prices?

Upgrading - whew!

New BD New Memory New CPU New PSU (New life when the wife sees how much this all cost!):eek:

lol yea.

get a 350 sparkle, they are alittle under rated though, and they are very cheap too. there are 2 versions though, a loud and one that has a circuit that controls the fans' speed by temp. not sure how you tell the diffrence between the 2 though~RCTG

I built a system for my sister with the Fortron 300W unit with a P4PE and a 2.4b. It has a GF4MX440 and a 120GB WD. No problem. The 350 is not much more though, so I recommend it instead. The Forton 350 is the temperature controlled fan version for $38. If you want to error on the side of caution, use the Forton 400. It is $65.

http://www.directron.com./fortronps.html

PS-Sparkle is a wholey owned subsidiary of Fortron. The Sparkle versions newegg sells are the same supplies, but the 350 version they have lacks the temperature controlled fan and the 400W model is the passive PFC model rather than the (preferable) active PFC Fortron version directron has.

I've had little luck powering PC's with Gold low noise. ;) Just get a Fortron/Sparkle if you want the best value and performance at the same time. Read this thread if you haven't already for a more thorough discussion of the adviseablility of choosing a power supply based on the fact that it is cheap and has big numbers plastered on the side.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150384

Thanks for the thread!

Will buy either the Sparkle or Fortron 350. Both which can put out @ 235.

I'm waiting for the price to drop on the 2.66 and don't plan to do serious overclocking.

Again thanks.

You are most welcome. The questions you pose get asked over and over, and that thread is intended to mimize the number of times this material gets covered. Not exactly the ultimate reference, but a useful backround for power supply selection nonetheless. Glad it helped.

Back