• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

I actully did 2 mods. But here is the first one. I will post what it does after the pics. So take a close look at the PSU and see if you can see what has been changed and why.

3.jpg

I installed molex connecters on the back of the machine, making sure to use 1 male and one female so that I could not ever plug them in backwards.

4.jpg

Well its done and this is how she looks. I know I still need to hide some wires and find a better place for the 2nd PSU aside from beside the computer. I was thinking about making a flip open box on the back of the machine for the 2nd PSU.

5.jpg

I grabbed an old L&C 300w ATX PSU, found out what wires needed to be jumped to get it to run outside of a case and without a MB attached. I then proceded to cut all the other wires out leaving only the wires that have 12v plugs on them and those 2 wires. I then called up a friend that does car alarm stuff and asked for a 12v relay. (can be seen mounted to the fan for cooling)

Then it was a matter of hooking up the 2 switch wires to the relay and then feeding the relay 12v from my main PSU. Now when I turn on my main PSU this second one turns on. Now to keep it all clean, I used molex connecters at all junction points for easy re and re. The 2nd PSU powers all the fans and lights neons in my machine. With the execption of the CPU Fan and 2 Case Fans. I will make a seperate for my "Caster-ized" Case.

There are more pics located at

http://www.david.westcoastfieros.com/mods

Last edited:
I had to be as carefull as I could when cutting all the extra wires out for 2 reasons. One cuase I did not want to leave any open wires to short out, and two so I did not cut anywires that I needed. I wanted the power wires for the molex and the 2 wires I had to jump to make it work. Everything else was cut and removed.

CrashOveride said:

Thank you. I think I have been bitten by the computer bug officially now.

(2 years ago I was using a compaq with a 300mhz PII and did not even know how to install ram let alone what it was)

As a side note, I like you nick. I just got done watching Hackers again, my girlfriend bought it for me on DVD.

Back