• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dually

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

I brother used ot have a 333Mhz celery slot one comp. I remember that thing had a passive heat sink and it always ran really nice and cool. The Pentium2 333Mhz would run about the same temp right? Would it be easy to build a cheapo dual P2 333, 350, etc with price kept in mind? I want to just build a little dual chip setup and I dont really care if it isnt very fast as long as it is cheap. These little chips seem to get pretty good overclocks from a % POV. Does anyone have any recomendations? And thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
It may not be worth it man. You could build a CHEAP duron system (900-1200Mhz) that would be 4-5 times faster then any dual PII system you could build. A system like that would give you more bang for you buck, and would be more compliant with newer hardware out that.....i.e. 4X AGP video cards and newer spec PCI cards.

i got a dual pentium pro 200 256k setup as cheap as it goes. for free ;)

not amazingly fast, but it has a great WOW! factor when i take it to LANs as a game server :)

slipknot said:
You could build a CHEAP duron system (900-1200Mhz) that would be 4-5 times faster then any dual PII system you could build.

Uhhhh, I think a Duron 900 would have about the same computing power as a Dual PII 450. Now way it's even twice as fast (let alone 4-5x).

But yeah, a new single processor system would be more cost effective than a new dual. If you can find used parts on the cheap though, a dual PII makes a nice linux box.

yeah, i think it depends on the program, though...some programs are designed to take near full advantage of two processors (photoshop i think is one)...and other programs can not utilized both processors...thus maybe the same speed as one

I also doubt a Duron wouldbe 4-5 times faster than a Dual 450 but it would probably we a fair amount faster in almost all cases.

I think you may be mistaken. If you plan on using that box crunching seti, it will take a very long time. My dual 333 PII can crunch a unit in about 13-15 hours. My athlon system STOMPS it by crunching units in abnout 3.5 hours. I will underclock my athlon to 1150 and tell you how long it takes to crunch a unit. The FPU in the Athlon/duron cpus is far superior to the PII fpu unit.

I doubt it, duals hold there value much better than singles. It's not uncommon to see dual PII rigs going for $200-$300 on ebay. You could put together a better single machine for that price.

dustybyrd said:
well i think two processors runs photoshop really well...and also SETI---probably other things as well...

So photoshop is a multi threaded program...sweet, cant wait for that 2.4ghz ht cpu

*tack another one up for intel...intel is pulling away (from AMD in my pocket)

Back