• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

meanwell power supply help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ouikikazz

ok, call me stupid and all but how to do you power one of those meanwell switching power supplies? Like with what kind of wires/source?

ouikikazz said:
ok, call me stupid and all but how to do you power one of those meanwell switching power supplies? Like with what kind of wires/source?

Well, if you are stupid, then so am I...

I don't know how to hook this thing up either.

Considering that you posted this question 3 months ago though, I'm hoping that you have figured it out by now and perhaps could me here? :)

you have to strip a normal power connector (say one from your computers PSU go buy one at a local comp shop for it) and then you have to hook up the green white and black wires accordingly.

black = live
green = ground
white = neutral

read over my post over here:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5685

it'll answer your question, i believe one of the links posted really answered the question well

ouikikazz said:
you have to strip a normal power connector (say one from your computers PSU go buy one at a local comp shop for it) and then you have to hook up the green white and black wires accordingly.

black = live
green = ground
white = neutral

read over my post over here:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5685

it'll answer your question, i believe one of the links posted really answered the question well

GOD BLESS YOU!!! :D

EDIT: So can I just hook the Meanwell to my ATX psu like this? (Through a molex connector I mean)

Or did you just mean that I should use wires similar to what my main ATX PSU has?

Today I went and bought myself an A/C adapter, some 18 gauge wire and some prongs to hook the wire to the A/C adapter. I then conncted the 18 gauge wires to the appropiate terminals on the Meanwell and then connected the other ends to the A/C adapter. This way, when I hooked a power cable to the A/C adapter, the PS came on which is nice but I would like to have the option to hook the Meanwell to my main ATX PSU if possible so both come online when I turn the computer on.

If I don't do this and have a seperate power cable for the Meanwell and my ATX PSU, I would have a big problem because I want to connect the TEC to the Meanwell only and run the pump off the ATX PSU using a PRS-II relay kit I got from Swiftech. The relay kit allows me to run the pump by turning on the computer.

You see, the problem here is that, I wouldn't want the TEC to run while the pump isn't running. If I connected the Meanwell through an A/C adapter to the wall, the TEC would always be powered right? But the pump would come on only when I turned on the computer. Without the pump, even with the computer turned off, the TEC would just fry itself, no?

So, these are my problems. What I would really like to do is to hook both the pump AND the TEC to the Meanwell so that they both power on at the same time. If I do that, I can plug the power cord to power the pump and the TEC before I turn on the computer to cool the system which might help to overclock a bit better perhaps.

I could even perhaps run the TEC/pump 24/7 and turn on the computer whenever I need it.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and if you could tell me where you hooked where, that would be great. :)

Last edited:
bump in case you didn't see my edit.

As a note, do people get notifications through e-mail after you edit one of your posts like they do when you post something new?

Sorry, I am not usualy not very impatient but I have been waiting for all the parts for this cooling system to arrive for months and I'm itching to put it together today since I neither got work nor school today. :)

Black_Paladin said:

GOD BLESS YOU!!! :D

EDIT: So can I just hook the Meanwell to my ATX psu like this? (Through a molex connector I mean)

Or did you just mean that I should use wires similar to what my main ATX PSU has?

Today I went and bought myself an A/C adapter, some 18 gauge wire and some prongs to hook the wire to the A/C adapter. I then conncted the 18 gauge wires to the appropiate terminals on the Meanwell and then connected the other ends to the A/C adapter. This way, when I hooked a power cable to the A/C adapter, the PS came on which is nice but I would like to have the option to hook the Meanwell to my main ATX PSU if possible so both come online when I turn the computer on.

If I don't do this and have a seperate power cable for the Meanwell and my ATX PSU, I would have a big problem because I want to connect the TEC to the Meanwell only and run the pump off the ATX PSU using a PRS-II relay kit I got from Swiftech. The relay kit allows me to run the pump by turning on the computer.

You see, the problem here is that, I wouldn't want the TEC to run while the pump isn't running. If I connected the Meanwell through an A/C adapter to the wall, the TEC would always be powered right? But the pump would come on only when I turned on the computer. Without the pump, even with the computer turned off, the TEC would just fry itself, no?

So, these are my problems. What I would really like to do is to hook both the pump AND the TEC to the Meanwell so that they both power on at the same time. If I do that, I can plug the power cord to power the pump and the TEC before I turn on the computer to cool the system which might help to overclock a bit better perhaps.

I could even perhaps run the TEC/pump 24/7 and turn on the computer whenever I need it.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and if you could tell me where you hooked where, that would be great. :)

NOoooo you CANT hook it up to your ATX molex connectors...absolutely no way is that possible. You must use the BLACK AC adapter plug, i was using the power supply wire as an example. Hope that clarifies it.

You must strip the part where you would usually plug it into the PSU (NOT the part where you plug it into the wall) and expose the 3 wires: green white and black. After that strip a bit of each of those three wires so you can hook it up to the meanwell. I totally forgot what is on the meanwell psu and i don't have the unit on me (it's at work) and i don't plan on seeing it for a couple days so I can't take a picture so if you can please take a picture of the part of the PSU where you would connect the wires and i'll try to draw you a diagram of where each one goes but that would be out of memory not positive unless i get the meanwell i hooked up in front of me :)

i recommend you hit up the procooling forums for help, they have a whole section for TEC's that would guide you in the right direction much faster.

ouikikazz said:

NOoooo you CANT hook it up to your ATX molex connectors...absolutely no way is that possible. You must use the BLACK AC adapter plug, i was using the power supply wire as an example. Hope that clarifies it.

You must strip the part where you would usually plug it into the PSU (NOT the part where you plug it into the wall) and expose the 3 wires: green white and black. After that strip a bit of each of those three wires so you can hook it up to the meanwell. I totally forgot what is on the meanwell psu and i don't have the unit on me (it's at work) and i don't plan on seeing it for a couple days so I can't take a picture so if you can please take a picture of the part of the PSU where you would connect the wires and i'll try to draw you a diagram of where each one goes but that would be out of memory not positive unless i get the meanwell i hooked up in front of me :)

i recommend you hit up the procooling forums for help, they have a whole section for TEC's that would guide you in the right direction much faster.

Well, no I was trying to say in my above post that I was able to hook the Meanwell up to the wall without problems. I cut 3 seperate 18 gauge wires and I hooked the wires to the appropiate terminals on the Meanwell. The L goes to the lower right hand side part on the A/C adapter, the N goes to the lower left hand side and the hot goes to the top (This is if you hold the A/C adapter with the single prong at the top and the other 2 at the bottom naturally). Anyway, I hooked the Meanwell to the wall with a power cable and it came on.

If you read all of what I posted, I am trying to say that I would either like to:

1- Get the water pump on the Meanwell as well so they power up at the same time when I plug the Meanwell to the wall. How do I do that?

OR

2- Find a way to connect the Meanwell to my ATX PSU with a relay switch or whatever so that they come on at the same time. I read Ct. Stranglelove's post in this forum where he says it's possible but I don't really understand how to do this and what type of relay I need (what it needs to be rated at).

Black_Paladin said:

Well, no I was trying to say in my above post that I was able to hook the Meanwell up to the wall without problems. I cut 3 seperate 18 gauge wires and I hooked the wires to the appropiate terminals on the Meanwell. The L goes to the lower right hand side part on the A/C adapter, the N goes to the lower left hand side and the hot goes to the top (This is if you hold the A/C adapter with the single prong at the top and the other 2 at the bottom naturally). Anyway, I hooked the Meanwell to the wall with a power cable and it came on.

If you read all of what I posted, I am trying to say that I would either like to:

1- Get the water pump on the Meanwell as well so they power up at the same time when I plug the Meanwell to the wall. How do I do that?

OR

2- Find a way to connect the Meanwell to my ATX PSU with a relay switch or whatever so that they come on at the same time. I read Ct. Stranglelove's post in this forum where he says it's possible but I don't really understand how to do this and what type of relay I need (what it needs to be rated at).

o...i dunno never did that, i used it for TEC cooling not water pump...i think there is a guide somewhere...umm:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/100/

that describes a relay switch but i personally haven't really researched into it therefore i do not really understand it.

ouikikazz said:

o...i dunno never did that, i used it for TEC cooling not water pump...i think there is a guide somewhere...umm:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/100/

that describes a relay switch but i personally haven't really researched into it therefore i do not really understand it.

Yeah, the Meanwell is supposed to be only for the TEC and not a pump and the pump runs fine when I turn the computer on but you don't want just the pump or just the TEC running obviously.

Is your TEC air cooled with a heatsink? I mean do you have something like one of those Swiftech TECs with a big heatsink on it? My TEC is being watercooled and as a result, I need the pump working to circulate the water while the TEC is working so the TEC doesn't burn and die.

How do you get the pump and the TEC to power at the same time though?

How are you running your setup? If you explain how you are doing it, that might help a lot. Do you have the Meanwell connected to the wall with a power cable?

EDIT: What would happen if the TEC was powered while the PC is off? I assumed that it would heat up die but without any heat coming from the CPU, is that really true?

I mean can I have the TEC powered on constantly by plugging the Meanwell to the wall and then turn on the PC to get the pump running?

Last edited:
Black_Paladin said:

Yeah, the Meanwell is supposed to be only for the TEC and not a pump and the pump runs fine when I turn the computer on but you don't want just the pump or just the TEC running obviously.

Is your TEC air cooled with a heatsink? I mean do you have something like one of those Swiftech TECs with a big heatsink on it? My TEC is being watercooled and as a result, I need the pump working to circulate the water while the TEC is working so the TEC doesn't burn and die.

How do you get the pump and the TEC to power at the same time though?

How are you running your setup? If you explain how you are doing it, that might help a lot. Do you have the Meanwell connected to the wall with a power cable?

EDIT: What would happen if the TEC was powered while the PC is off? I assumed that it would heat up die but without any heat coming from the CPU, is that really true?

I mean can I have the TEC powered on constantly by plugging the Meanwell to the wall and then turn on the PC to get the pump running?

My TEC is air cooled but here is my two cents as to what to do:

The pump and the TEC should power on at the same time, the only way that I kno is to run a relay switch off the pump onto the power supply that'll solve one of your two problems, that'll power on the pump along with the computers power supply.

Now for the meanwell power supply your gonna need to find some way to power them on at the same time, i personally have a vantec psu that has a AC adapter on it where i could plug in my meanwell psu when the computer psu powers on. The only problem is not many power supplies have this anymore, all i know of is the vantec or equivalent (pctoys) power supply's. I don't have anymore ideas as to how to power them on at the same time, you could try someone else for help on that maybe they might have a more feasable solution? Hope this helps

ouikikazz said:

My TEC is air cooled but here is my two cents as to what to do:

The pump and the TEC should power on at the same time, the only way that I kno is to run a relay switch off the pump onto the power supply that'll solve one of your two problems, that'll power on the pump along with the computers power supply.

Now for the meanwell power supply your gonna need to find some way to power them on at the same time, i personally have a vantec psu that has a AC adapter on it where i could plug in my meanwell psu when the computer psu powers on. The only problem is not many power supplies have this anymore, all i know of is the vantec or equivalent (pctoys) power supply's. I don't have anymore ideas as to how to power them on at the same time, you could try someone else for help on that maybe they might have a more feasable solution? Hope this helps

So then maybe instead of using the pump relay switch I got with my ATX psu, I can use it with my Meanwell? I mean rather than using the molex connecter the relay switch comes with, just take those wires out and connect it directly to the terminals on the Meanwell just like the TEC?

If that is possible, that would be sick. One power cable that goes into my ATX PSU from the wall, one power cable that goes into the pump relay switch from the wall AND another power cable to that goes into the A/C adapter of the Meanwell from the wall again.

3 power cables to power up the computer. Geeeeezz!!! I wonder if everybody that uses a TEC does it like this.

Nobody ever mentioned details like this while discussing what parts to get for a custom watercooling setup with a TEC.

I am beginnning to seriously regret having gone this route. I think I should have kept my EXOS. It was a **BREEZE** to hook this thing up and everything was external.

When I decided to sell it and build this setup, all I was worried initally was space in my case and being forced to mod my case.

I was able to address those concerns but now I feel more screwed than ever. :( :( :(

Black_Paladin said:

So then maybe instead of using the pump relay switch I got with my ATX psu, I can use it with my Meanwell? I mean rather than using the molex connecter the relay switch comes with, just take those wires out and connect it directly to the terminals on the Meanwell just like the TEC?

If that is possible, that would be sick. One power cable that goes into my ATX PSU from the wall, one power cable that goes into the pump relay switch from the wall AND another power cable to that goes into the A/C adapter of the Meanwell from the wall again.

3 power cables to power up the computer. Geeeeezz!!! I wonder if everybody that uses a TEC does it like this.

Nobody ever mentioned details like this while discussing what parts to get for a custom watercooling setup with a TEC.

I am beginnning to seriously regret having gone this route. I think I should have kept my EXOS. It was a **BREEZE** to hook this thing up and everything was external.

When I decided to sell it and build this setup, all I was worried initally was space in my case and being forced to mod my case.

I was able to address those concerns but now I feel more screwed than ever. :( :( :(

Maybe the results after u get it up will warrant your troubles...im not sure about the molex thingy, not sure if the meanwell will power it correctly or has enough power to do so or etc etc couple variables i cannot answer in that question.

ouikikazz said:

Maybe the results after u get it up will warrant your troubles...im not sure about the molex thingy, not sure if the meanwell will power it correctly or has enough power to do so or etc etc couple variables i cannot answer in that question.

Well, thanks for the reply anyway. This peltier stuff gets confusing fast, doesn't it? Especially when you are watercooling it.

Hmmm, this being the Power Supplies forum, perhaps someone will drop in and help. I have seen several threads about the Meanwell PSU I have but and they didn't really contain any information about how to hook 2 things to the Meanwell. I suppose I could use the relay I have for the pump with the Meanwell but then what do I do with the pump?

Anyone?

Back