• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time OC, recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klej

A friend and I are gonna purchase cheap computer parts and do an Overclock project to learn the basics and get experience. I have visited www.overclockers.com www.nordichardware.com ( i am a swede :p ) www.hardocp.com www.xbitlabs.com and other OC-sites to get some facts and tips etc. Now, my question is, which CPU and MOBO should we get. AMD´s duron,Tbird,XP-thbread or Intels´s p3 ,p4. Which of these have most OC-ability and good and cheap mobos so you can use the OC-ability in a good way? Do you have any other tips for a beginner plz let me know :)

You dont want to get cheap products- they will hurt your O/C alot. A low priced setup would be an EPoX 8RDA(+) w/ an Athlon XP 2100+ t-bread B..you should also get good cooling-> SLK-800 w/ fan of you noise/performance choice. With that setup you should be able to get 2.3+ GHz.

Some good vendors:

www.newegg.com
www.case-mod.com
www.googlegear.com

And get a NAME brand memory, Corsair, Crucial, Samsung, etc. Cheap ram will hurt you in an OC, on you scores and FSB.

For the CPU wuzzapiman is right on about the T-bred 2100+, look in the AMD CPU forum and see what good results people are getting with it, that will be my next CPU this next week or so, on my Epox 8K3A.

Oh yah and a brand name power supply @ least 350 watts.

www.pricewatch.com

Good luck.

Back