• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I lapped the CORE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warhawk

Disabled
I had an old processor so i decided to try it. And what do ya know, it went down 5C and no bad effects yet!

It was an old p4 1.6 ghz. Ive had it for a while. Its got a 400 mhz fsb.

yeah, all P4's slower than 2.4GHz are on a 100x4 FSB....
so you poped the IHS off and lapped the core? How much did you take off the core? What grit sandpaper? and what colour is it now? White?

And can i ask what Heatsink you are using? and what kind of temps did you have before you "lapped" the core

yeah i popped it off. I took a bit off. Not too much. used a very very fine grit. Its a shade of grey. I had 40c before and 35-36c after.

So if i have this right,
you popped off the IHS.
Were getting temps of 40C with NO IHS

Then lapped the core and now are gettin a 35-36C Temp

What heatsink???? and how fine is fine for the sandpaper?
Not to many peeople are brave enough to lap a core, so all details are great. Any pics?

Not pics YET! Will have some though. I have the regular intel fan.

jay said:
yeah, all P4's slower than 2.4GHz are on a 100x4 FSB....
so you poped the IHS off and lapped the core? How much did you take off the core? What grit sandpaper? and what colour is it now? White?

And can i ask what Heatsink you are using? and what kind of temps did you have before you "lapped" the core

now that;s not true, there is a 2.26 GHZ on the 533 mhz bus

uumm.. it's hard to believe that the P4 core needs lapping.. I just removed my IHS, and I can say it without QUESTION does NOT need lapping.. And I really don't believe you saw a 5C difference on after lapping a core that was already perfecty smooth, shiny, and flat.. something doesn't sound right...

Why would you lap the core? I took the IHS off my broken chip and the core is already as smooth as it can get. The core is as smooth as a mirror, in fact thats what it looks like.

Back