• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warhawk

Disabled
Ive gotten access to liquid nitrogen at school and the science teacher has approved this test! I plan to mount a metal bowl with a flat bottom ontop of the p4. Fill it with liquid nitro (keep it on its side) and see how far i can take a brand new P4 3.06! Ill post an update here!

make sure you read the article on []-[]ardocp when they used phase change cooling. The heat spreader on the cpu went *pop* and they had a dead CPU. the extreme cold made the metal shrink, and snap right off the cpu. If that happens with phase change, it'll probably happen to Liquid nitro...ill get a link soon

*edit: found the link
article.html

you could remove the heatspreader and that way you won't have a repeat of what happened to [|-|]. just be very careful and it should be possible. also be very careful with the precious core when you mount the "bowl." if i were you i would "practice" with a dummy cpu before i put the contraption on the 3.06p4. a method of removing the IHS might be to cool it with the N2 and then take it off, just like [H] but without the messy cleanup b/c you would do it w/o it in a board and w/o power applied, of course. best of luck and keep us posted. :)

Yes and i can assure you they had the best pick of the bunch on processors. Also they did not use a vpin mod, they used some kind of rheostat.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they did. Almost doubling the speed of a 2.4B is insane.....even the best of them need that kind of voltage/cooling to get up that high.

I bet those things were totally fried within days of that experiment. If going over 1.7volts on a P4 is dangerous, 2.15volts must cause so much electromigration, you'll get shot with electrons from across the room :D

Back