• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it good for 12V rail to be 12.48 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desperado84

the same goes for 3.3V and 5V
also, what does it mean,
does it mean that the PSU isn't very good if it's below expected ?
thanks for the help guys

Did you measure it with a multimeter? You can't trust the BIOS or MBM voltages...

it doesn't matter how i measured it, just answer my question
oh btw, it's the BIOS (hehe)
i just wanna understand what it means
maybe later i will get a voltmeter to test it for real
thanks again

It's not good for the 3.3V and 5V to be at 12.48V. Well, that's what you asked... ;)

I don't think that any piece of PC hardware has ever quit working 100% correctly just because the +12V rail was 4% higher than spec, but to be absolutely certain, spend $350 on a Fluke 187 multimeter, which is certified to be accurate within 0.025% on DC voltage readings.

i've been waiting hours for someone to reply, and when someone does, they're no help at all
what i'm trying to say is, if the reading differs from what it is supposed to be, what does it mean,
if it's lower, does it mean cheapy PSU ?
come on guys.
i am not asking for advice on which voltmeter, and i don't care about them
i just wanna know about the volt rails

what do u wanna know about them??

the best thing for volt rails like 5, 12 and 3.3 is to be as close to them as possible, it is most likely to be the psu

if the 5v rail is like 4.70v that is quite low.. i use to have that prob until i got the antec true blue 480w. now all my voltages are really good

Well you aren't being specific and you are being rather impatient. People are trying to ask you questions about the scenario so they can help you as your quesiton was rather vague and you never specified what kind of response you wanted in your first post.

Is it load or idle? If it is idle than it might be ok, if it is load it is pretty bad since your idle will be near 13v.

Yodums said:
Well you aren't being specific and you are being rather impatient. People are trying to ask you questions about the scenario so they can help you as your quesiton was rather vague and you never specified what kind of response you wanted in your first post.

im with ya yodums

12.48v is not bad. Could be better. If that is 100% cpu useage. You should buy a multimeter and check from a molex. That's a true reading. BTW, if you are not really concerned. Don't ask.

Why are you complaining when everybody's given you correct answers?

12.48V is an error of 4%, and ATX allows 5%. So if your reading is accurate, things are fine, unless you paid for a PSU that guarantees tighter tolerances, like a PC Power & Cooling or Antec TruePower.

It's important whether the 12.48V reading came from a digital voltage meter or the mobo hardware because the latter is often inaccurate by 2-3%, and one person saw an error of almost 7%.
Any cheap digital meter is fine, unless you're trying to verify a PSU that's guaranteed to be accurate to within 1%, in which case you want something accurate to better than 0.25% -- or for less money, just buy another PSU.

i've been waiting hours for someone to reply, and when someone does, they're no help at all

I’m sorry, but your comments are just about the most rude I’ve seen in a long time.

I had a very detailed response to your problem based on past experiences, but frankly, acting like an *** isn’t going to get you any help around here, especially from me.

Back