• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowus

Well it looks like I am going to have to flash bios for my 8KHA+ so I can run my TbredB.I have never done this and must say I am little tentative to do so. Is there any tips or advice from anyone that might make this a easy procedure for me to follow.Epox Support said just follow there advice and it will be fine.Just wanted to hear some dos and donts from some of the experts on this site.....Any help or advice would be much appreciated.....Thanks.JS

Just make sure your system isn't OCed(just go into bios and load default). Then copy the AWDFLASH.exe and the bios file to a floppy, along with a bootdisk. Once you booted into DOS using the bootdisk, just fun the AWDFLASH.exe on the floppy, and follow the instruction.

So that means I have to make a( boot disk) first?Then copy the files to that disk and run awdflash is that right?........Thanks for any help,much appreciated......JS

Ok ,Thanks, now I have created MS-Dos boot disk .I have downloaded new bios from Epox and extracted files to the boot disk , now do I power down and reboot with disk in system or can I just put disk at any time and start from there.Sorry for dumb questions really not sure how to do this and just trying to be careful.Thanks For the on going help its very much appreciated.Regards.JS

Put the bootdisk in your floppy drive, and reboot your system. In the bios, make sure your first boot device is the floppy drive(1.44Mb 3.5"), and the system will boot from the bootdisk:D Once you are in DOS, run the AWDFLASH.exe, and follows the instructions;)

I was told to make sure I get I have the correct awdflash utility on the disk.I am kinda confused am I suppose to down load this to the disk also? Or when I boot to the disk and type in AWDFLASH.exe (thats puts it on the disk)and thats what they are talking about.Geeze wish I knew more about this.Thanks for your help I know I wouldnt be this far without.Regards.JS

If you have the AWDFLASH.exe file and the bios file on a floppy, then all you have to do is bootup using the bootdisk, once you are in DOS, take out the bootdisk, and put in the floopy with the files on it.

When you download your bios, it should be a zip file, right? Just extract it directly to the floppy, and after make sure you got the AWDFLASH and the bios file there.

Thanks Kato ,I didnt realize I need to make to disks thought I just put the updated Bios on the MS-Dos Disk.So put MS-Dos on a disk.Boot up and when in MS-Dos take out MS-DOS disk and put in disk with New Bios Files and AwardFlash on it?Then just follow the screen as what to do?Thanks.JS

If you can put the AWDFLASH and the bios file into the bootdisk, and it all fit inside, then you don't need another floopy; Just boot the bootdisk, and run the awdflash there.

If you can't fit everything on the bootdisk, then follow the 2 disks optino:D

Basicly after you run the awdflash, it will ask for the path of the new bios(.bin file), in this case, its on the A:. Then it will ask you if you want to save your current bios, if you want to save it, then create a name for it. After that the program will run on its own, and at the end it will tell you to press F1 to reboot;)

Got evrything on 1disk when I get the screen with A:\ and cursor blinking it will not allow me to type anything in there, any ideas what I am doing wrong.JS

Yes I am its the only one available to me right now.At that point shouldnt I just be able to type:\AWDFLASH and enter?I must have missed something somewhere seems like Im close to getting it but no cigar..Thanks.JS

I will check maybe thats it....Great frigging idea.........Thanks.JS That could be it because I set everything back to default...Thanks will try it...Regards.JS

Ok that was it I was able to get it after enabled usb keyboard.Then I hit F1 and entered Optimized settings but the bios still say the previous version...Should I clear the cmos or something else to have the New Version reconized?.Damn you are really walking me thru this .It must be a big pain in the *** for ya but I can tell you how much it is appreciated.JS

Np man:D

You sure you downloaded the right BIOS? You shouldn't have to reset your CMOS but you can try that.

BTW, when you boot up your system, on the boot screen it should show you the bios version. Usually its located at the top or bottom.

Oh I am sure I did that ,will try to clear cmos will I do anything wrong if I try flash it again or could this cause more problems.Since I now know how to do it I think!!!!!!!!!!!Geeze alls I wanted to do was to try and run this 2100B and this has been like ******* surgery for me and I am sure for you.Nothing like taking some by the hand and helping them.JS

Back