• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antec 480W making high pitch noise w radeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

When I plug the radeon in my antec 480W truepower the power supply itself makes a horrible high pitched noise. I unplug the connector and it doesnt do it(although u need the card connected for it to work). I put my old 400W antec it and it doesnt do it! Is the PSU bad or something? It only does it if the radeon is connected to it.

If your PP-403 or PP-412 doesn't whine but the True550 does, i'd say something is amiss enough to warrant sending it back. Tell them it has a high pitched whine but don't mention only with the radeon.

Hoot

I have the same problem with a true480 and true330. My true330 was in my original case dead silent. when I got my chieftech and true480, it whined. I put my true330 in my chieftech and it whined too. I did some tests, and found it was the bottem 92mm fan spinning to slow because of the temp control (antec low noise tech). I got an RMA on both PS easily.
If u want to know how I tested, let me know?

PS. I was the first one to report the whine, the tech said. so maybe If you say it also whined???????

FWIW, don't put too much stock in Antecs Tech Support. I bought an alleged refurbished PP-412 from NewEgg. When I got around to finally putting it in a PC, I discovered it was DOA. Thank you NewEgg! Judging by the dust inside it, it was never refurbished by Antec as NewEgg claimed and since it sat on the "to do" shelf for 3 weeks, the NewEgg 14 day warranty was no good. That's my fault :rolleyes:

So, I called Antec Tech Support and told them what I found. The little **** on the phone, goes "Oh, since you opened it up we will not warranty it..." After explaining that I've serviced switching supplies for 23 years (probably longer than he has been alive) and could he send me a schematic so I could troubleshoot the PP-412 and fix it myself, he says "Oh no no no, we do not allow the people who buy out products to fix them..." :mad:

Hoot

youare sure that the whine isnt just the fan on the card right?

wow Hoot that sounds like it sucks... kinda stupid that they wont send you the schematics for it i guess nto really since some peoplel might kill themselfs or something cuz they pull stupids but... still annoying:rolleyes:

Hoot said:
FWIW, don't put too much stock in Antecs Tech Support. I bought an alleged refurbished PP-412 from NewEgg. When I got around to finally putting it in a PC, I discovered it was DOA. Thank you NewEgg! Judging by the dust inside it, it was never refurbished by Antec as NewEgg claimed and since it sat on the "to do" shelf for 3 weeks, the NewEgg 14 day warranty was no good. That's my fault :rolleyes:

So, I called Antec Tech Support and told them what I found. The little **** on the phone, goes "Oh, since you opened it up we will not warranty it..." After explaining that I've serviced switching supplies for 23 years (probably longer than he has been alive) and could he send me a schematic so I could troubleshoot the PP-412 and fix it myself, he says "Oh no no no, we do not allow the people who buy out products to fix them..." :mad:

Hoot

Ouch tough luck bro but I would have expected better support from Antec.

Yodums

Nope definately was the power supply. I have my radeon 9700 running with my old 400watt antec and its dead silent. My 480 works perfectly fine but that high pitched noise is just way too much. Only happens with the radeon connected which is really weird.

This may sound way out, but humor me...

Assuming your Radeon has a fan on its heatsink and like so many video card fans, it runs off of 5V instead of 12V andit is plugged into a header on the video card. Unplug it and see what happens to the whine. I mention this oddity because it happened to me once. I replaced the 5V fan with the same form factor 12V fan and plugged it into a header on my motherboard. I have never seen this happen since that time and with other video cards. Just an outside shot.

Hoot

Back