• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer vs Real sound system Speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I'm wondering how a computer matches up with a real sound system speaker of ~ the same price. For example, take the left/right speaker of the Logitech Z-560 setup (53 watts RMS each speaker) compared to a bookshelf speaker priced at about ~200 dollars CANADIAN (that's about 130 US) that has about 50 watts each speaker

Which one sounds better?

in most cases, a decent home speaker will 0wn a computer speaker. Of course, you have to factor in the added cost of home components- you also need a CD/tape deck and a receiver to make it work. There's always exceptions- some home speakers just suck.

If you already have the amplification and source, I would just get shielded home speakers instead of PC speakers.

ah, it's just that I'm trying to decide whether I should buy some hceap 100 dollar speakers for my comp (Logitech Z-640s)
bigthumb.jpg

instead of splurging for a 4.1 set of Logitech THX 560s.

This way I'll be saving $150 Canadian and put it towards a audio fund in which I'lls tart putting together a nice sound system with real components 1-2+ years in the future

So this $160 I would be saving, in a year or two will be enough for a nice bookshelf speakers for the rear section of a sound system (or temporarily for the front section) and I'll have enough money for a receiveer

There is one important question you should consider, Frodo: What kind of audio are you going to be listening to through your computer?

For gaming, popular music and movies a good set of multimedia speakers like the Z-560's will work fine. Using home audio components can give better sound quality, there is no question about that. But to get to the level where you have a clear improvement over a good set of multimedia speakers requires spending a lot more money. (You'll spend three times the price of the 560's just for an entry-level "home theater in a box" system from Sony or Bose. Buying good individual components can double that in a hurry.)

But if you listen to a lot of high-definition music like classical and jazz through your computer, you might want to consider doing the homework and building a PC audio system from home stereo pieces. For this application you can get better results than nearly all PC speaker systems without spending a lot more money.

BHD

Another factor to consider, depending on where you plan to place your speakers, is are they magnetically shielded? Computer speakers are typically placed near a monitor, while home speakers may not be built with that type of use in mind.

In the end though a good set of quality speakers designed for music listening will be better than computers designed for computer use. Whether or not you realize that difference depends alot on the sound quality of what you listen to. If you are listening to mp3s that are compressed alot you may not see the benefit.

If you want to use your sound for anything else besides for the comp, its nice to have a stand alone system. Also, If you get a good one with a head unit and everything, it will be upgradable/expandable.

BaldHeadedDork said:
There is one important question you should consider, Frodo: What kind of audio are you going to be listening to through your computer?

For gaming, popular music and movies a good set of multimedia speakers like the Z-560's will work fine. Using home audio components can give better sound quality, there is no question about that. But to get to the level where you have a clear improvement over a good set of multimedia speakers requires spending a lot more money. (You'll spend three times the price of the 560's just for an entry-level "home theater in a box" system from Sony or Bose. Buying good individual components can double that in a hurry.)

But if you listen to a lot of high-definition music like classical and jazz through your computer, you might want to consider doing the homework and building a PC audio system from home stereo pieces. For this application you can get better results than nearly all PC speaker systems without spending a lot more money.

BHD

hmmm...I never thought of that. I like to use my sound system to watch DVDs :eek:

Ok well I have owned both the z560s and a decent home audio system (jbl n26 II for back and jbl n38 II for front and a s center II center channal powered buy a jvc 8020 receiver with 2 200 watt powered 10's subwoofers) The z560 cost me $150 and the home system cost me about $700-$800.

Well now that I have a real home system I can't listen to music at all on the z560s with out getting a massive headache. I use to think that the z560s sounded good but now I think that the highs are way to harsh and the mids kinda suck. Everything sounds better on the home system but that is to be expected when it cost a ton more than any computer system. Before I owned the the expensive I thought the z560s were the best things on the planet:D so if you don't want to end up spending alot of money just stick with the z560s or the 5.1 system they make now and you will always think they sound good.

Home stereo equipment has and will for the forseeable future be better at every end, at every turn.

That being said, if you're willing to pay, you can get real quality stuff.

The Logitech's can't be beat in terms of price to quality. Personally I like my Klipsch's. I mean come on! The 2.1's haven't fallen $10 in retail price in TWO YEARS. Sevrial other good makers.

IMHO Altec's lower and mid class line is simply not up to par with other offerings.

With sound, like video, it's simply a matter of how deep your pockets are, and what quality you want.

batsstab said:
Ok well I have owned both the z560s and a decent home audio system (jbl n26 II for back and jbl n38 II for front and a s center II center channal powered buy a jvc 8020 receiver with 2 200 watt powered 10's subwoofers) The z560 cost me $150 and the home system cost me about $700-$800.

Well now that I have a real home system I can't listen to music at all on the z560s with out getting a massive headache. I use to think that the z560s sounded good but now I think that the highs are way to harsh and the mids kinda suck. Everything sounds better on the home system but that is to be expected when it cost a ton more than any computer system. Before I owned the the expensive I thought the z560s were the best things on the planet:D so if you don't want to end up spending alot of money just stick with the z560s or the 5.1 system they make now and you will always think they sound good.

wow, that's kinda steep. Thats US cash I presume

How much money does it get to get started in the high quality/cheap stuff? Like I'd have to buy a receiver and two bookshelf speakers to use as a front speakers (and later as back)...

how much would that set me back?

james.miller said:
well ive got a yamaha rx-v630rds: £348 (ive got the titanium-colour version)
http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receiver/rx-v630rds/index.php

and these speakers for the fronts: £50
http://www.dixons.co.uk/store/martp...age=Product&sku=279652&category_oid=undefined
thats the best damn £50 ive ever spent on speakers.
total cost £400 (excluding my 12inch sub and creek amp that drives it)

james those speakers come out to like 80 bucks canadian??! maybe I should go for an audio system setup...hmm...

But sheesh that amp costs like 600 dolalrs canadian

let's say I went and bought the Logitech Z-560 THX set. Because it's only 4.1, what would you reccomend I do to get a real 5.1? buy a center channel?

I have right now, my old speakers, but they are only 26 watts (2.1 set) and the sound isn't that great. And besides, the center channel should be the best

I really dont recomend going with a real home theater set up unless you plan on spending loads of cash because its so freakin addictive. I started out with just two bookshelf speakers and a 5.1 500 watt receiver but every month I just had to add another piece to the puzzle. Now that I look at the credit card bills it cost more like $900 and I still want to add a more powerfull subwoofer because my friend just got a solo baric 15 with 1000 watts powering it in his suv and now I want something that loud in my house :D .

What I would do is really think over what you are planning on using these for and in what type size room. If you are planning 50% gaming 50% mp3s in a small to medium size room than I would look into the logitech 4.1 or 5.1 system. I'm like 10% gaming 90% music so I decided to go with the home theather system. Just remember that a good receiver alone costs as much as a whole logitech 5.1 system. Just a warning try and buy the logitechs in town so if they do break (had two old sets go out because of abuse) you can easily return them.

batsstab said:
I really dont recomend going with a real home theater set up unless you plan on spending loads of cash because its so freakin addictive. I started out with just two bookshelf speakers and a 5.1 500 watt receiver but every month I just had to add another piece to the puzzle. Now that I look at the credit card bills it cost more like $900 and I still want to add a more powerfull subwoofer because my friend just got a solo baric 15 with 1000 watts powering it in his suv and now I want something that loud in my house :D .

You'll never get it. If you spend $1000-$2000 on a good, high end home subwoofer, you might get close and would certainly have better sound quality. But unless you're in a tiny room, the confined space of a car makes it hard to equal that in your home.

That said, I thought my computer with it's Klipsch speakers and SB Live! sounded pretty good. I had hooked my system up to my TV to watch a movie on it. I couldn't believe how flat and lifeless the Live! sounded on my home theater setup. Granted, I've got about $2000 worth of audio equipment, so it would probably show the shortcomings of the source. But I was amazed how bad it was. So you might want to spend the $$$ to get a better quality sound card like an audigy of santa cruz or the Philips acoustic edge.

I will note that I was using the analog out of my sound card since it doesn't have a digital output (original Live! Value from right after they first came out).

batsstab said:

What I would do is really think over what you are planning on using these for and in what type size room. If you are planning 50% gaming 50% mp3s in a small to medium size room than I would look into the logitech 4.1 or 5.1 system. I'm like 10% gaming 90% music so I decided to go with the home theather system. Just remember that a good receiver alone costs as much as a whole logitech 5.1 system. Just a warning try and buy the logitechs in town so if they do break (had two old sets go out because of abuse) you can easily return them.

thanks ocnoob for the link, irt was very interesting

I live (and will continue like this through University) in a small to medium room. I'd prolly say I'm divided equally from games, music and dvds.

if you guys could read from the start, I also posed a couple questions, especially this one:
let's say I went and bought the Logitech Z-560 THX set. Because it's only 4.1, what would you reccomend I do to get a real 5.1? buy a center channel?
I have right now, my old speakers, but they are only 26 watts (2.1 set) and the sound isn't that great. And besides, the center channel should be the best

So basically I'm hovering whether I should buy a cheap set right now (100$ Canadian) and save my money, or just get a good pair of Logitech Z-560s (check the center channel question above)

Back