• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic pump, isn't that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

Hi, with my current wc rig, my pump sits right below my video card/networkcard/soundcard. When i had my case next to my monitor, my monitor would start twitching like hell, i know why that happened, but didn't expect the pump to be that powerful.

Anywho, my question is, do magnets (like a running pump) screw up componets like video cards?
Also, is there anyway to shield the magnetic field besides using a fat lead armor around it?

heres my setup:
pump.jpg

Thanks you :)

I've run quite a few different pumps by computer components and I've never had any problems

I've often wondered about that. I always assumed that the metal housing of the pump would be sufficient to block any kind of interference.

However, some people have experienced distortion on the monitor due to (so they deduce) the pump and I have always wondered if it would disturb the data cables.

Anyone else with more to say about this subject?

Last edited:
if the case of the pump is in steel, it wont stop at all the magnetic field. In order to have the electro-magnetic and any other perturbation blocked you can use grounded aluminium (grounded to the case for example), i have never tried it, but you could try to use aluminium foil (make sure it touches the case) and i remember reading in the forum someone saying that he used a coffee box and it worked just fine.

wangster, trust me, the pump does make ur monitor go crazy
i unpluged it and repluged it and it would stop and come back. I've tried covering it with 10sheets of aluminum foil, and it was touching a grounded case, but that didn't seem to help, when i put the side door of the case on it would help a little bit, but ever since i got a window in my case, it doesn't make a difference. I want to extend the tubing and keep the pump/rad away from my case, but my 370gph isn't strong enough (stupid senfu oversized rad).
What would happen if i doubled the pump? two 370gph pumps instead? is that crazy or would it be somewhat practical because the flowrate right now is like >80gph.

Hmm, I wonder where one would get a lead vest to wrap around the pump....

mm.. lead.. so toxic...
i don't think its very easy..
could u use lead as a heatsink? its cheap, and has a low specific heat.. thats all know..., i guess it can't be as toxic as my liquid mercury cooling idea..

Lead nor aluminum is used in magnetic shielding...at least not in effective/economical shielding. I think that aluminum would be used for EMF radiation, such as what a monitor would give off, not so much a direct magetic field.

"The force lines coming from the pole of the magnet do not pass through the metal strap. Instead, they are gathered in, travel down the metal strap, and re-enters the magnet at the other pole. Materials that gather magnetic lines of force are said to be permeable. Only magnetic materials are permeable."

Only iron, cobalt and something else are magnetic, so materials containing these elements such as steel help stop magnetic fields. Even wraping the pump in steel wire surpresses the field. I think the best would be a few 1/8" thick plates around the pump, it has the best spression-to-wieght ratio for a case. The encasing also reflects the field back towards the magnet - one way to increase the field of a magnet [on one side] is to cover the other side with steel.

BTW - when you have an electric motor [basicly a 'switching' power item] hooked up to an electrical outlet close to the outlet your powerstrip is in, it can shake the monitor too.

On a side note, you'd probably get much better temps with a heatercore instead of the rad you are using, looks terribly restrictive!

The reason that it screws up your monitor is because the electrons that the monitor's electron gun emits are guided into individual points on the screen by electromagnets. So a strong magnetic field near the monitor will attract or repel electrons, screwing up the image. It doesn't affect things like video cards because they only use electricity. The only thing that would be possible to screw up are those donut iron-core coils on your motherboard, but you would need a very powerful AC magnetic field to affect those. The only things that really use magnetism in your PC are the floppy drive and hard drive.

Hard drives are very well shielded from magnetic interference. In fact the metal shielding plates within a hard drive probably wouldn't make a bad shield if you used a couple near the pump. If you have an old hard drive then try it out. The older the hard drive the better as the older ones have the strongest magnets and therfore also have the strongest shielding.

... damn, thats a great idea mrgulabull.. i can got a bunch of old 300-700mb harddrives, and i've always liked breaking stuff:D
oh yea, nikhsub1, i used to have a dk heatercore which was said to be one of the best, but when i had my old p4 w/ peltier, it would get hot and temp would start going up. To top it off, my 120mm fans are load as hell (90cfm). My senfu, on the other hand, never heats up, and was not as load even though i had two 50cfm ball bearing fans on it. It sure does kill the waterflow, but atleast it keeps it cool. Now that i took off the peltier, i put 28cfm fans, its great and my cpu is at 27c.

Back