• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting an AC fan to turn on with computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaddyB

A friend and I were recently given a bunch of 240V 120mm x 40mm 100cfm fans and I want to connect them to my power supply (obviously at just 115V, so they will be running at 50 cfm) so that they will turn on and off with the computer.

Does anybody know if it is possible? I have an enermax EG351P-V. Although I haven't yet pulled my PSU apart to follow the the traces I can't think of a way to do it, I really want to avoid having a seperate switch for the fans.

TIA

You would have to buy one or make one, but there are a lot of people that use relay setups to turn on their 115v water pumps. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use this setup.

Many power supplies come with a switched outlet built in for plugging the monitor into. It would be possible to spice into the line voltage for this outlet and run the fans from there.

So far I have yet to see any ATX PSU's with this switched outlet (I've only owned but two or three ATX), but every AT power supply I've owned has come with that outlet.

Someone might know a brand / model power supply that has this feature.

Channel Well, Task, Topower, TSP, and Powmax (not Leadman, from the same company) each have an AC outlet, at least on some models.

Back