• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sparkle 350w is the best thanks larva

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

before i couldnt even get into windows @1.85 i had a 420w psu that is manufactured by the same company as the 420w enlight and thermaltake so i thought it was ok. now with the sparkle i can boot into windows and run prime at 1.85. yay larva and sparkle(fortron) o ya and yay newegg

Glad you like. Fortron/Sparkle's are better than they have any right to be, I'm glad yours is as satisfactory as all the ones I've had. You can replace the fan with a quieter one if you desire, I have had no thermal issues with a .15A fan fitted in place of the somewhat noisy, although high quality, .3A NMB unit. Enjoy the goodness :D

ya that fan is a bit noisy. the only fan i could switch it out with is one from my other psu. those ones didnt push much air.

That's the attraction of the Forton version that directron has. It has the variable speed temperature controlled circuitry driving the same fan as the Sparkle version has. But as they are standard 80mm case fans and there is no warranty sticker to break while changing it, this is not a deal breaker. A low speed panaflo or other quality low speed 80mm fan is a nice upgrade for the 350 Sparkle though, while not totally necessary for all user's tastes.

Just pulling the connector is wishful thinking. Whatever fan you have to put in will not have the same style of connector should the stock fan's wire not be soldered to the PCB (as they usually are). If you don't have a quality solder iron (Weller WP25 recommended), a pair of clippers, and some electrical tape now is the time to invest in them. Snip-snip, solder-solder, tape-tape. This is a basic electronics skill that will pay dividends over and over if you are a PC (or any consumer electronics, for that matter) hobbyist.

PS-don't even think about radio shack junk, get the weller.

http://www.crawfordtool.com/weller.html

I have the Fortron FSP 350w from Directron. When the fan comes on it is too loud for me. So I removed the fan by clipping the wires and then taped them off. Then I put in a quieter fan. I just ran the wires out the back with all the other ones and plugged into the power supply just like a case fan. Cheap and dirty maybe, but it works.

don't even think about radio shack junk, get the weller
Their cheaper soldering irons will gradually quit heating in about a year, but they also have some much better irons that cost a little more and have a triangle shaped handle, like the 30W #64-2067C.

The worst iron I ever used was a $2 Fry's. Its body ran so hot that it turned blue permanently, and it quit working after two months.

My Fortron's fan is usually on the quiet setting, so it doesn't really bother me. Are you guys saying the quiet level is too loud? or at full blast?

I have the Fortron FSP 350W. It doesn't have any settings. It has a "noise killer" which only turns on the fan when it gets hot. Then after cooling it off it turns off. "Noise killer" is a joke - it's a "noise maker." It is almost as loud as a SmartCaseFan 2 on high. That's why I switched the fan.

how do you solder it. do i heat up the solder first. i found a solder iron in my basement. and stole a fan out of a psu i found in the dumpster that works fine.

well i ****ed it up. i cant get it to solder the fan to the wire it just keeps melting the casing. there goes 48bucks down the drain:mad:

i need help dude. i took the fan out and hooked up one up to a 4pin connector in it ,but now the sob won't work? what do i do? do i have to pull the wires all the way out from the pcb?

Are the wires of the 4-pin arranged right?

The easiest way to replace a soldered-in fan is by cutting the wires, leaving plenty of length on the PC board side, and splicing in the new fan, either by soldering the wires (cover with heatshrink) or by using wire nuts.

I'm going to buy this P/S for my mom's computer that's been having problems. Anyways, I am a little confused, why is there a need to solder in a new fan? If I just plan on dumping the stock fan and putting in my own aftermarket, can't I do what Larry said and cut the old one's wires in the middle and then splice on a new fan. "12v and ground" is "12v and ground" right?

Back