• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC Outlet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steelejaxon

Registered
Not sure where else to post this but I was wondering what impact having multiple items plugged into one plug (using a power strip) might have on a power supply? I currently have only on 2 plug outlet in my office. I have the following items plugged into 2 powerstrips:
PS1- 27" color TV, X-box, Small stereo, Epson printer, light, PDA charger PS2- Computer, 17" monitor, Powered PC speaker system w/sub. I will soon be adding another computer using a KVM switch and I am wondering if this is going to cause the PSU of the computers to fail prematurely. Is there anything I can do to help fix this short of hiring an electrician to come out and splice a new outlet in?

Unless a new outlet was wired from a new breaker in the box, it would just be on the same circuit.
If you are pulling too much power from the circuit you are on now your breaker will switch off.

It won't wreck the PSU in your computer, but it might cause the circuit breaker for that outlet to trip, or it might start a fire if the circuit isn't wired properly. All that stuff together is pushing the limit of what a single 15-amp circuit is good for.

Back