• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec -> PC P&C....10C drop in temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cúchulainn

I just got a PC Power & Cooling 475 in today and swapped out my Antec True 430. When I booted up, my idle temps dropped from 42°C to 32°C on my 2100+ tbred b!? I've probably re-installed my slk 800 ten times since getting the 2100 and never have I seen less than 41° idle. One thing that I noticed on the PC P&C unit is that it doesn't have an intake fan. The fan on the antec was pretty close to the hsf and I wonder if it didn't allow enough air flow to get to the hs? Anyhow, maybe this is a known problem but I'm pleased as pie about it :cool:

Hey, you just found out a bit on how the air flows/fans pulling for air~fans fighting for air etc vs effeciency with psu's with either just the single fan on the back or one on back/one on front. From alot of reading and depending on your heatsink placement/fan, case airflow etc that underside psu fan can hinder cpu cooling. Anyways, thanks for sharing your results and the psu likes not getting warmed up air from the cpu heatsink airflow also i bet.

I guess I would have had to duct the heatsink flow past the psu fan. It was probably more noticeable since I'm not running a really high-powered fan like a Tornado or Delta.

Another interesting thing is that the MSI PC Alert app doesn't continually sound the alarm detecting fans "stopping" anymore. All of the rails it displays are rock solid. This pc p&c psu == omg ;)

I also have an antec 430W, i also get 41C and never less. That's very suprising though, 10 celcius is a huge drop for just changing a PSU

is it!
Antec hearing that sould be ashamed.

that's not a good place to have an inlet anyway.

Johnny Knoxville said:
I also have an antec 430W, i also get 41C and never less. That's very suprising though, 10 celcius is a huge drop for just changing a PSU

I agree, but a nice surprise :p. From trying to push this 2100 tbred b for about 3 weeks I'm very familiar with the temps as I was pretty worried about them. Used to be 42°C idle/46-47°C load. Now it's at 31-32°C idle/36°C load. I made absolutely no other change other than swapping out the psu. I also had a look at the rails via pc alert just before shutting down so I could compare the before/after.

TruePower was designed with being quiet and cool. Obviously if we had the fans running at full or a less aggressive setting the system in general would be cooler. The downside of that is it would not be quiet at all.

AntecRep

that has nothing do do with it, as you should know being a rep. The heat generated by your 430 TruePower would NOT be enough to increase the cpu temps by 10 degrees 'c'

The fact that the intake fan is so close to the heatsink fan is what is causing a problem. its causing turbulace and robbing the cpu fan of clean air.

I suspect running those psu fans at full throttle would actually make the problem worse:rolleyes:

It's not just the heat of the PSU. It's also how much air the PSU is drawing out of the entire system (the intake fan is typically taking air away from the CPU area). If we were only concerned about the heat of the power supply we'd go with 1 fan, since that's all they really need. But since PSU's intake air from a system (that generates heat) and there's a greater reliance on the PSU to help exhaust the heat from the entire system. So a PSU with slower running fans is not exhausing as much heat as a PSU with fans running at a higher speed (say 1500rpm compared to 3500rpm). Thus it's normal that changing out a Truepower with a standard PSU is likely to result in a temperature drops.

As far as turbelence goes for the CPU area, I seriously doubt it. Otherwise you'd hear more of an outcry about AMD's whitepaper about prefering dual fan PSU's. Also it had been a problem there's no way the Plus1080AMG (with a True430) would be on Intel's TAC (Thermally Advantaged Chassis) for the 3.06Ghz systems.
Also any case then with rear exhaust fans near the CPU would also be a culprit if turbulence was the main concern (I think that could be easily verified with the number of cases out in the world that have rear exhaust fans near the CPU area.

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
It's not just the heat of the PSU. It's also how much air the PSU is drawing out of the entire system (the intake fan is typically taking air away from the CPU area).
yes, thats exactly what we were just talking about
If we were only concerned about the heat of the power supply we'd go with 1 fan, since that's all they really need. But since PSU's intake air from a system (that generates heat) and there's a greater reliance on the PSU to help exhaust the heat from the entire system. So a PSU with slower running fans is not exhausing as much heat as a PSU with fans running at a higher speed (say 1500rpm compared to 3500rpm). Thus it's normal that changing out a Truepower with a standard PSU is likely to result in a temperature drops.
I said it WASNT heat from the psu that was the issue. Asuming your psu is functioning correctly in the first place, YOU CAN NOT DROP YOUR CPU TEMP BY 10C JUST BY CHANGING THE PSU!
As far as turbelence goes for the CPU area, I seriously doubt it. Otherwise you'd hear more of an outcry about AMD's whitepaper about prefering dual fan PSU's. Also it had been a problem there's no way the Plus1080AMG (with a True430) would be on Intel's TAC (Thermally Advantaged Chassis) for the 3.06Ghz systems.
why do you doubt it? have you ever seen the effect of two fans in close proximity to eachother? try it sometime
Also any case then with rear exhaust fans near the CPU would also be a culprit if turbulence was the main concern (I think that could be easily verified with the number of cases out in the world that have rear exhaust fans near the CPU area.
Yes and NO. it can cause problem on smaller cases, that is obviou. it all depends on how close that case fan and cpu fan are. in a stand atx case, that case fan is too far away to cause a problem.

I remember seeing an instance where somebody used two panaflow low cfm 80mm fans in the back and had a high output 80mm delta on their heatsink....pretty much was sucking the air through the two 80mm panaflows backwards heheh I dont remember what case it was....wasnt an antec but anyways i think its just important to have abalanced airflow throughout the system, enough air in,out, where its flowing etc. A psu with a faster fan may or may not help case temps depending on how good the airflow patterns are already.

It can change the temperature of the entire system. Since the PSU's exhaust will affect the system's temperature (thus the air around the CPU). Granted 10 C is huge (especially at the CPU), but a drop in temperatures is not unexpected when switching out a TruePower powersupply. Thus my original statement stands, that switching out the TruePower with a standard ATX power supply would drop temperatures. However 10C is more then I've heard of previously.

I'm not doubting that there is turbulence. I'm doubting that it's that huge an effect on the CPU. Now if it is really close (which it sounds like it was) yes it would affect the CPU, but again I'm surprised by that dramatic a change.

Actually since in many cases the exhaust fans are above the I/O panel they're in about the same place which is the configuration I'm talking about for case fans. Also your point about for it turbulence not being an issue for larger cases would be more true when talking about turbulence from the PSU (ie likely the PSU is higher up/farther away from the cpu area).

I'd be interested in seeing some more testing on this though.

AntecRep

AntecRep-

Is there any way to manually speed up the fans in a True Power Supply? I have searched for mods on how to accomplish this, but have yet to find anything. I have had my True430 for 5 months and have monitored the RPMs under different situations, and it has yet to speed up for warming temperatures. It stays at 1650 (+/- 10) RPMs no matter how hot my case gets. I thought that the fans were supposed to speed up when the heat increases, but I have not witnessed that. Does it sound like there is something wrong with my PSU, or is this typical? Thanks-

Nick

The sensor inside the TruePower has to read 40C before it'll start to ramp up the fan speed.

AntecRep

has to read 40C before it'll start to ramp up the fan speed

:eek: ^^

'ramp up the fan speed'....which means that the fans will be working at their fullest at an even higher temp?

Most people here have systems with temperature a lot lower than that...seeming that actually a True Power with manually-controlled fan speeds might be the way to go...:cool:

That's where TrueControl comes in. Although that won't be out until March sometime (I don't have a firm ETA on it).

AntecRep

What about running the CPU fan off the Fan Only leads ?
Has anybody tried this ?

My CPU temps have only gone up about 4-5c, but are still
only topping out at 45c max load, so I think I am ok there.

HS fan is a Volcano 6Cu+. Loudest thing I ever heard before
I put it on the Fan only leads.

This is on the P3-S chip. 148fsb, 1.5v at the moment.

BAD idea. Very very bad idea. By the time the PSU could react to the CPU getting warmer it'll most likely be too late for the CPU.

It's something we do not recommend at all.

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
That's where TrueControl comes in. Although that won't be out until March sometime (I don't have a firm ETA on it).

AntecRep

Or you can just modify your existing TruePower PSU like I did. Its really easy to do.

Back