• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon overclock problem FBS and Mutiplier, Please help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gwballs

Registered
Hi, I have been trying to overclock my Athlon T-900 socket w/ Cooler master fan on a Gigabyte 7-ZX(VIA KT-133)rev1.0) with 448mb 133 ram in an Antec SX830 case with 300W-PS with little success. Ok this is my first "home build" system, I did not know better to get an Asus or abit. My MoBo has an "auto detect" mhz and votage feature that is making me nuts, the only way I could overclock is by changing the mobo FBS from 100mhz to a higher setting. I noticed when i change it(FBS) to 133mhz my system dosnt boot at all :( I can only go up to around 945mhz (105mhz FBS) with no noticeble errors. Is there anyway i can use a program to manually change the core votage and the mutiplier? or any other ways to overclock to 1000mhz and up and be stable?
P.S. I connected the L1 brige with some conductive poxy (for microchip bonding use) i got from work. my system willl not boot with the L1 brige connected. i took off the heatsink to feel how hot the core was, i touched it for 1/2 or a sec and I got a blister on my finger now. I dont think that temp was normal.
If anyone could help me out that would be great! thanks a lot

ok for durons they have a stock FSB of 100.
to get to 133fsb the chip has to be really good ocer with stock voltage.
most of them need higher vcore to get to 133fsb.
and have u checked the manual to c if the board supports change of multiplier?
most of the gigabyte boards r for oem`s so not a lot of option to oc your chip.
or try some burnins...
or even better option for u is to return that mobo and get a ABIT or ASUS board if u want to oc it.
but if u r strapped for cash then go for the ABIT KT7E ...
very good board.

GOD...

Mobos based on the kt133 (not kt133a) are known to not go higher than about 110 fsb. My MSI can´t handle anything higher than fsb@107.

U will never get 133MHz FSB with a 133KT chipset. U will need to get a motherboard with the 133KT-A chipset, then u will be able to get such high speeds.
I don't know that motherboard, but I think u can get around 107-115MHz on the FSB.

This is a well known and documented problem with all of the first generation Socket A motherboards with the KT133 chipset. The average FSB maximum is in the 107 to 110MHz range. The revised chipset "KT133A", addressed these problems and reports of FSB's in the 150MHz range have been reported. I've gotten to 140MHz myself on an ASUS A7V133. I may need to make the voltage mod if I would like to go higher.

GOD (May 10, 2001 02:50 a.m.):
ok for durons they have a stock FSB of 100.
to get to 133fsb the chip has to be really good ocer with stock voltage.
most of them need higher vcore to get to 133fsb.
and have u checked the manual to c if the board supports change of multiplier?
most of the gigabyte boards r for oem`s so not a lot of option to oc your chip.
or try some burnins...
or even better option for u is to return that mobo and get a ABIT or ASUS board if u want to oc it.
but if u r strapped for cash then go for the ABIT KT7E ...
very good board.

Thank you for the reply. My mobo does not support changing the mutiplier, the AMIbios will not alow it or could be the VIA chipsets. I have checked everything, Am I stucK?
What are "burnins"?

Thanks for the info guys.
I can not change the mutiplier on my MOBO, checked every options and pins. Anyone know if the AMIbios or the KT-133 686A chipsets prevent you from changing the mutiplier?
From what I know the KT-133 and the KX-133(PIII mobos with 133FBS) are the same chipsets, why does it alow you to change the FBS upto 133 if it can not handle it? could it be the system bios? I've also tried "easy tune III"(a software that alows you to change the FBS in windows) and the can go up to 160mhz FBS(320 MHZ). no i did not pedal to the metal :) what is going on with that?
Am I stuck on this one?
PS what are Burnins?

Back