• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My water cooling system leaked :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

I had everything all setup and my system bled but one of the barbs on the water block i guess i didn't tighten the hose down tigh enough beacuse a drop leaked on my vid card and it locked the system up. I still don't know if the vid card is good i'm gonna try it today. I think im through with water cooling :(

things like this scare me away from my first syetem, cuz even if you leak tets u TAKE IT APART after u leak test, therfore the leaktest wase useless cuz your gonna put it back in your pc different than it was while testing, and u may make a mistake with a hose or soemthing like that..

things like this scare me away from my first syetem, cuz even if you leak tets u TAKE IT APART after u leak test

Absolutely NOT!!:eek:

You put it all in your case exactly like it will stay. Mounted on processor and all. Then you plug just the pump in and run the leak test.

If you get no leaks THEN you power up the system.

you could do waht i do, get the UV mixture stuff and put it with the water. then with a uv light you can see EVERYTHING. even the little drops of water squerming under a hose barb.

Also, can i recommened using velvet tape around your connections, it helps a lot

FusionBoi said:
things like this scare me away from my first syetem, cuz even if you leak tets u TAKE IT APART after u leak test, therfore the leaktest wase useless cuz your gonna put it back in your pc different than it was while testing, and u may make a mistake with a hose or soemthing like that..

I believe you are suppose to estimate all the locations and cut the tubes accordingly. After you have all the hoses hooked up and clamped, you leak test.

After you feel comfortable with the leak test, you put the motherboard in and mount your WBs without taking your cooling system apart.

Last edited:
I did a number of tests prior to powering up the system with my mobo etc.. First I tested the setup outside the system for at least 24 hours. I put paper towels under everything in order to help identify any problem areas. After that test was successful I installed the unit into my system. The second test consisted of running the unit for 3-4 hours installed in my system with no power to the mobo etc.. Passing the final test I was good to go!

I used those metal clamps you find in home depot. Heres a picture of the system below. I guess I just didn't tighten them down enough. I think I may give it another just im just gonna tighten the crap outa those hose clamps this time. Hopefully I won't have any more problems like this.... I still have to test out my GF3 to see if it's still good. Wish me luck!

IMG_0006.jpg

Does anyone know of something i could wrap around the hose and barb when it already connected to prevent it dripping i think it has stopped leaking after i tighten them down like crazy but im still nervous about it.

-toxik

Here's how i tested:

First, install the entire kit into your PC case as you would normally but make sure it is all EMPTY i.e. a dry install.

Once you're happy with the layout and installation carefully remove the entire loop (just unclip/unscrew the blocks from the mobo/vid card)

You'll now have a complete loop outside the case away from the computer!

Fill her up with your coolant (I use distilled water & water wetter) turn on the pump and let it run for 24 hours or more.

It might help to place blotting paper or some other paper which changes colour under the "joints" e.g. under the blocks, under the pump barbs etc. This way you can spot small leaks as well.

Once convinced there are no leaks either drain the system and install then refill, or if you're a bit brave, install it while full. Make sure the pump is off though! I installed mine exactly as above while full without any problems, after fixing some small leaks. Result: leak free installation!

You can use teflon/plumbers tape (called PTFE tape) to wrap around the barbs, then attach hose onto the barbs and to be extra safe use those round metal clips (Jubilee clips in the UK) to make sure it's on tight.

Finally if you want to make absolutely certain you can apply sealant around the connection. Silicon sealant is normally recommended but you could try other stuff depending on your tubing.

Take your time and test it for 24 hours continuous. If you get leaks, redo/tighten the connection, apply sealant if necessary then test it all again. Better to be safe than sorry!

Note: for leak sealing you could try Fernox LS-X it's like silicon sealant but designed to seal small active leaks i.e. sticks when wet - something silicon sealant won't do as far as I know.

This is how I set mine up, somewhat of pain but definetly worth the effort.
I take all computer parts out of my computer case, and install all water cooling parts. I just keep in mind where the waterblock has to be, and leave a little extra tubing attached to it just in case I'm a little off. This way I can install the water cooler, leak test it, and then install components without ever de-assembling the water cooler. This method might not work well for everyone though, in my case its easy cause my mobo tray slides in from the back, and the HDD and CD-RW and all are in the top section of my full tower case.

Well I worked up the guts put eveyrthing back in and my vid card works. I did this to stop drips and see if it leaks for a few days.

water.jpg

Don't have any but maybe i'll pick some up at the hardware store if I find any drop on the cardboard in the next few days.

I have yet to install my system but I suggest smearing a light coating of silicone sealant around the end of the inside of your tubing. It might help seal any small leaks. And make sure you are putting the hose clamps on right. They go just behind the barb on the fitting, if it is a single barb fitting. If the fitting has more than one barb, well, I'm still considering that case.:)

why not fit it to the mob etc dry, then take the pc stuff in harm's way out, and then fill it in place??? i'd just fill it up with the sys in, but if u want to be ultra cautious.
the HD hpse clamp are really cheap, and really strong and more compact than the plastic ones

Last edited:
Toxik, It looks like you have everything together just fine. :D

One question (or suggestion?). The tube you have coming off the "T".....I'm thinking that's what you use to fill it. If you make that longer, it can be positioned so it ends higher than any of you cooling components (the end would be way up at the top of the case). It could then serve as an air trap, a fill tube and when the tube is laid over, a drain.

The way you have it, it looks like you have to lay the whole case on its side to fill the system, bleed it or drain it.

It bleeds fine standing upright. Just takes a hour or so to get all the air out. I used a shorter tube so it doesn't get in my way when I need to remove components and what not. Just takes me a little longer to fill it hehe :D

Back