• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newb question: Dual DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuja

Registered
I know this question sounds stupid but does Dual DDR only work with DDR 400? Or 333 will work as well? I checked asus and nvidia site, but all they said was 400... so i dunno if i can run any lower

Cullam3n said:
You can run DDR266 in dual-ddr, it doesn't matter the speed as long as it can handle the FSB.

-PC
Do you think athlon xp with 266 FSB will do any good with DDR 333? If not, I might as well as overclock my FSB to 333 so it will run par with my RAM

Ok thx for the advice :)
but by overclocking the FSB, will it affect my storage drives?

It depends on whether your bios provides pci divisor of sufficient size to bring the pci bus back to 33mhz. Some mobos have pci locks that locks the pci at 33mhz no matter what the fsb is.

Cullam3n said:
Yup. Unless you have an nForce2 board which locks the PCI bus.

-PC
Actually I am getting an Asus A7N8X, so I don't have to worry about my storage drives if what you said was true :) , but what about my AGP? I am planning to get Asus or MSI GeForce 4200 Ti 8x 128 mb, does nforce2 lock AGP too?

I'm not totally up to date about my nForce2, but I believe that there is no AGP lock. But AGP cards for the most part can handle up to 80mhz (default is 66mhz).

-PC

Cullam3n said:
I'm not totally up to date about my nForce2, but I believe that there is no AGP lock. But AGP cards for the most part can handle up to 80mhz (default is 66mhz).

-PC
That means, If I moved my FSB from 133 to 166, my agp card will go from 66 to 99? Well in that case it went way too high for my vid card to handle

That's not how it works...

At 133 fsb, the AGP bus uses a /2 diviser. so 133/2 = 66mhz, and so on. When you get ot 166fsb, the /3 divisor kicks in, so 166/3 = 66mhz.

-PC

Cullam3n said:
That's not how it works...

At 133 fsb, the AGP bus uses a /2 diviser. so 133/2 = 66mhz, and so on. When you get ot 166fsb, the /3 divisor kicks in, so 166/3 = 66mhz.

-PC
So by what u are saying, even after I overclock my fsb from 133 to 166, the AGP bus speed still remains to be 66 mhz? wow that's a relieve, now i can overclock my fsb to 166 without any problem :D
thx for the advice guys

The nforce2 boards lock both the PCI and AGP, so there is no worry about that. Like you said, overclocking your fsb so it is the same as your ram is ideal, however you can run the ram faster than the fsb, but there isnt much gain from it.

hey im new here and just wondering, to use the dual DDR is it is it possible or better i use the same brand of memory sticks? i have a nanya at the moment but plan on getting a crucial or kingmax. Will make any difference using 2 different brands?

Last edited:
Back