• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flashfx

Registered
I have a mb with raid on it but i wasn't planning on using it when i first bought it so i bought a 7200 rpm 40 gig drive. I want to add it now does the other drive have to be the same speed and size or could i match it with any drive? Thanks

In theory you can use different drives, however, it is not advised. The RAID would force all the drives to run at the slowest speed and size of the lowest drive in the RAID. The best thing to do is have all identical drives, same brand, model....

But the nifty thing is that if you use the contoller as another IDE controller, you have the possiblity of 8 IDE devices without adding another card.

Its only raid dont be afraid. youll love the speed and it is very easy to set up, I take it your planning on running raid o (stripping) your gonna needa back up that hdd you lose all your data setting up

Back