• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600MP is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevmarks

The 2600MP was "anounced" today.

Not on pricewatch yet. Don't expect it to be cheap, but it should knock down the price of the other MP's a little. Also, it's the last thorughbred to ever be released. Doesn't seem 2 mins since the first tbred 2200's came out. I was one of the suckers the bought one. :rolleyes:

AMD ATHLON™ MP PROCESSOR 2600+ BRINGS ENTERPRISES HIGH
PERFORMANCE AND INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY
—AMD’s newest multiprocessor designed to meet business demands for peak
computing efficiency and compatibility—
SUNNYVALE, CALIF.—FEBRUARY 4, 2003—AMD (NYSE: AMD) today
introduced the AMD Athlon™ MP processor 2600+, the newest in its line of multiprocessors for servers and workstations that run mission-critical business applications. The AMD Athlon MP processor 2600+ joins the AMD processor lineup as
the company’s highest performance multiprocessor.
The AMD Athlon MP processor 2600+ builds on the tradition established by previous AMD Athlon multiprocessors by emphasizing comprehensive yhada yhada yhada.....

The next processor to be released will be the Barton core. This is the last tbred to be released.

I'm waiting for the BartonMP 2600, then I'll pick up a pair of those to replace my 1200s.

kevmarks said:
The next processor to be released will be the Barton core. This is the last tbred to be released.

Im not necessarily saying that's wrong, but Id like to see where that's mentioned, just out of curiosity. Everyone seems so damned certain about some things, yet it turns out to be different anyway...

I think it is mentioned at amdmb.com. The Bartons will be out on the 10th (next week). Unless they release another tbred between now and the 10th, this will be the last one.

I won't be upgrading until the Barton 3000's are down to around $150 each. MP's should come down alot when the hammer is released.

Like thats going to happen!! lol :D

Pleasant surprise :D

I was always thinking that Bartons would be in the distance....

Well releasing and actually being able to buy are 2 different things to AMD. We will see what happens.

I thought the bartons already had their paper release and next week would be the real release. Either way, places are already taking preorders for bartons so even if this is the paper release it still shouldn't be too terribly long before they're actually out.

curious, haven't heard if this new barton core design, what advantages does it have of the t-bred? cooler running i assume...

Adding SSE2 is a pretty big thing, I think. I think thats getting saved for the Hammer.

loner said:
And SSE2, however much that matters...

Definetely alot. With SSE2 and 512KB L2 the Hammer would be able to pace with Intel in multimedia benchies(some people think that benchies are life, I don't, :))

Penguin4x4 said:

(some people think that benchies are life, I don't, :))

That was my point...

Like I said, I haven't been following things as closely for AMD recently, so certain features they said would be implemented may not be right now.

Back