• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

son of a . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koby

Disabled
my power supply on my athlon rig just got sacrificed to the computer gods...

I go to turn it on my computer after a shutdown, hear a few crackles from the PS and then nothing... still nothing

I opened the powersupply up and nothing looks burnt or exploded... stupid *** computers

now i have to go buy a new PS

Before you buy a PSU, try jumpering yours like this;

plug.gif

If the fan fires up yours is still okay, and you have another problem. If not, you'll at least know that the PSU is the trouble.

stool said:
Before you buy a PSU, try jumpering yours like this;

plug.gif

If the fan fires up yours is still okay, and you have another problem. If not, you'll at least know that the PSU is the trouble.

Did you try that yet???

Some PSUs won't fire up unless a load is also applied to the +5V rail, such as with a 10 ohm resistor rated for at least 10 watts.

larrymoencurly said:
Some PSUs won't fire up unless a load is also applied to the +5V rail, such as with a 10 ohm resistor rated for at least 10 watts.

The reason being that on some switching supplies, the output voltage may spike on the first few switching cycles if it is unloaded. That spike often is high enough to trip the overvoltage protection and put the PSU into a suspend (for lack of a better word) mode until you unplug it and allow it to reset.

Sometimes, a piece of debris or large "dust bunny" will get sucked into the supply and you'll hear some snap-crackle-pop sounds. Once cleared of the debris, it may work again, or you may be right on the money in assuming that it died. A little basic troubleshooting should reveal which is the case.

Good Luck

Hoot

if the fan doesnt start up when you jumper the connections it may just be the fan. I have two PSUs that 'fail' the paper clip trick but they still work..simply because the fans themselves are borken :)

And in the future, if you think it's dead smell it. All the power supplies that have died on me have had a horrible electrical fire smell.

Back