• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED trash my kt7a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

JEFF

ok a few problems
1.anything over 865 changes windows programs causing file corruption and illeagal ops.even folding at home causes them at anything over 865.running games i get fu screen and lockup.
2.cd detectin,wont start cd's automatically(most of the time)will not cd-rw,even after uninstalling and reinstalling software.
3.northbridge fan runs constantly even when shut down,and occasionally the cpu fan as well.
i thought it could be heat but added delta black label fan and still get program errors.does anyone know what causes any of these problems?i am still running ww bios that came with the board.if there is a 1 in 1000 chance of getting a pos it will happen to me.im a patient man but after 2 months of trying to fix any or all problems,i've got zip.i have spent over 1000 bucks putting this pos together and after finding temps were not to blame im pi$$ed.am i the only one who got a lemmon?any help would be appreciated ,it may save the mobo's life.

JEFF (May 11, 2001 09:00 p.m.):
ok a few problems
1.anything over 865 changes windows programs causing file corruption and illeagal ops.even folding at home causes them at anything over 865.running games i get fu screen and lockup.
2.cd detectin,wont start cd's automatically(most of the time)will not cd-rw,even after uninstalling and reinstalling software.
3.northbridge fan runs constantly even when shut down,and occasionally the cpu fan as well.
i thought it could be heat but added delta black label fan and still get program errors.does anyone know what causes any of these problems?i am still running ww bios that came with the board.if there is a 1 in 1000 chance of getting a pos it will happen to me.im a patient man but after 2 months of trying to fix any or all problems,i've got zip.i have spent over 1000 bucks putting this pos together and after finding temps were not to blame im pi$$ed.am i the only one who got a lemmon?any help would be appreciated ,it may save the mobo's life.

Please tell me you are upping the vcore...

no not yet.i dont have another chip.i need to sell my old system to get another chip and a second drive to raid it.the weird thing is it runs at 865 at default voltage.have trisd next level at 1.89 7x133(mine wont even post adding keyboard numbers to fsb)past that voltage im afraid heat may become an issue again.i am hoping its the chip because i havent seen bios updates that deal with this problem,but the fans running when shut down seem to point to the board.i dunno im going to keep at it for awhile.mebey i overlooked somthing,somewhere.

Have you unlocked the L-1 bridges? If you have it will probably be the chip willonly go that far. I have 2 same boards and haven't had any problems like that except when went higher tha chip could handle. Then I just backed it up a little.

in rereading ny post i see i have fallen to the evil corruptor greed.my overclock isn't bad considering it is rock stable at that speed.i realize my problems could be from the ram ,video card ,cpu.more than likely i have probably just hit the edge of what the cpu can do stably.
instead of whining or blaming any componant i should be using this forum to thank all the folks that helped me along.since i have no practical use for this machine,the experiance and knowledge i have gained has far outweighed the monotary investment.
i entered this forum to find out how to upgrade my 366 celeron and find out if i could do it.what a ride!now i know more about computers than anyone else i know.i have dug into windows programs that i never knew existed.
ok this time ill handpick the upgrade of my cpu which i had planed to do anyway,meybe get that g force three when the cost bottoms out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway thanks to all! next time i start whining just tell me to shut up.

Back