• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I'm having major problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Is anyone having problems with the 3.24 client on W2K Server/Adv. Server network? I have uninstalled/reinstalled the client on every rig at work at least twice, checked the settings a number of times, and most of the rigs will not start folding when the system starts up via task schedular.

I had an active directory go corrupt about three weeks ago and have been chasing the residule permissions issues, user account problems, and various warnings/errors in event viewer since then. However, I'm really frustrated as every other aspect of my network is running smooth now and yet I still can't get F@H to initiate on system start up like it did before.

So I'm wondering if this is a 3.24 client problem that needs some kind of special attention for which I'm not aware, or if there is still something hiding in my network preventing the machines from letting the client run.

Most of the AMD rigs are still locked so their OC is only about 10Mhz if at all. I have installed the clients and the scheduled task under the Domain Admin account so there shouldn't be a problem with permissions.

Any ideas?

Wedo

Sorry... no problems with Win2K servers and F@H 3.24 here.. none whatsoever. 3xwin2Ksp3 servers running for me, no problems.

Is it ONLY at system startup? can you start the client manually with no probs?

Have you retyped the login info for the sched. task? dunno why, but some of my sched jobs lose their login creds.

If you don't feel comfortable passing info on your IT rigs at work here, throw it by a PM, and I'll take a look at it.
The more I know the merrier.

Cheers, Flixotide

P.S. ADS distributed GPs can really make it hard to bughunt... try set one of the rigs free of your GP's, just to check if it is a GP issue.
P.P.S. Create a F@H account on your network, add it to the local admin groups on the PC's runing F@H, and set the schedule login to the F@H account... PLEASE... I get the jiggers if you use domain admin accounts :eek:

alternatives

You can schedlue it at startup and tell it to run run only when idle for x minutes. See if that works. But it won't fold if there is someone on the box... even mouse movement will make it stop.

Or there's the google toolbar hack, and also the service installer.

Thanks for the tips guys. While driving in to work today I think I might have answered my own question. The last time I intalled a new client (v3.0x to 3.1x) I had to do a brute force uninstall and then reinstall.

So I:

Uninstall the program from Add/Remove
Delete the Folding directory
Delete all the pertinent reg keys containing 'pande,' 'folding,' and 'winfah.'
Run regclean just for good measure.
Restart the rig and then reinstall under the admin account (sorry flix :D)

So I think I'm going to give that a go and see what happens as I believe I simply installed the 3.24 client over the last one and deleted/added a scheduled task.

Thanks again,
Wedo

Christ... I sure hope I never get close to you in person Wedo... I'll shave your balls and dip im in alcohol for (ab)using an admin account on servers for that stuff.. lol.. :p

God knows I will do it! or my name wont be Flix no more..

Lets see.. whens the next flight for LAX

Flixotid

bwahahahahaha!

Never fret Flix, only my BDC folds (two instances as it's a dually), but my PDC just sits and does it's thing.

However, everything else in my building folds, or did, and that's what I'm trying to fix. I've been pounding through a slew of AD error (event ID's in the app log etc) and I finally found the last of the trouble spots today.

So.....

I did the brute force uninstall/reinstall on my rig at work and that seemed to solve the F@H issue. Now I have 20 more machines to do as soon as I can. I've got to get cracking though, there's some heavy hittin' mofo's coming up the ranks.

Thanks again,
Wedo

p.s. I'd have to attack you with a trout for NOT abusing your admin rights and folding on every rig possible!!!!!!!! :D

abusive folding

I bet I can get the nameservers, fileserver, and back-up server folding... heck maybe even the gateway! There's linux emulation for freeBSD and openBSD after all....

-guy folding on 9 dually MP servers and 7 XP/Tbird workstations

Back