• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth getting this PSU???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoNgOkO

Hello!

I am thinking of buing a new PSU is it worth getting a cheap no-name PSU???

I have this one in mind!
Manufactorer: CWT
Model:ISO-400D
A-tests CE, TUV, UL,
2 fans (temp controlled)

The prize is around 35$!!!
BTW: it says that the PSU has P4 connectors or something like that. Will i be able to use this PSU for my AMD????

Thanx

as for the P4 connectors it doesnt matter, but the PSU must be AMD approved or your outa luck (technically) and its not really recommended to get a generic one unless your:
1- not overclocking
2- computer doe4s not recquire much power
3- computer does not have many devices in it (HDD, CDRom, etc)
4- you dont care if it fails and possibly frys something (generics are crappy made and might not have warranty for damaged parts)

5- I would not recommend it.

CWT stands for Channel Well Technology. This is the manufacturer of the Antec Power supplies, Antec doesn't actually manufacture anything that I have seen. Channel Well is a good brand, just be sure to verifty that the 3.3+5V output is adequate (220W or up). Myself I favor the Forton 350 from directron (38 bucks at present) in this price class, but a CWT 400 for 35 bucks is not a bad option either.

Last edited:
If this is a Channel Well, then it's swell, but I read of a web site that was offering PSUs with model numbers that started with CWT, just like Channel Well's, but they were by another manufacturer and apparently not nearly as good.

So should i call the company that sells these PSU-s?? And if yes what should i aks them??? I will do so major OC as soon as i finish my PHASE-CHANGE project.

Thanx

larrymoencurly said:
If this is a Channel Well, then it's swell, but I read of a web site that was offering PSUs with model numbers that started with CWT, just like Channel Well's, but they were by another manufacturer and apparently not nearly as good.

Hmm, good point. Reviewing Channel Well's site, there are not 400W supplies listed. They have 375, 380, 420, and 430 units listed but no 400s. Perhaps they have mis-represented the supply. I would recommend a different unit.

http://www.cwt.com.tw/path_product.htm

Can you point to a single credible review that said that the Foxconn/Allied PSU was good? Credible = tested to full rated power, as was done by Tom's Hardware , Silent PC Review , and Tweak Town .

I think that another Channel Well brand is Turbolink, and if you can look at the PSU before purchase, see if any of the internal parts visible through the grill holes or fan blades has "CWT" or "CWT Viking" written on them.

I recently sent a Turbolink 420W PSU to Dragon_Orb for $17.00 plus shipping, which, after looking at it, was what I thought it was worth. Nuff said...

Hoot

I think I'm one of many people who got a TurboLink 420w with thier Chieftec Dragon case from Newegg. I never found much info on the company but I do think the PSU was made by Channel Well. I also think it was a little lower quality that they might usually produce. I was going to ask for $10 + shipping for mine : )

Back