• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use Tbird shim on Tbred?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

Just got my 8rda+ and 2100+AIUHB0302. All set to throw it in the box and........Whoops!!!! Forgot the shim. :(

Can I use the Coolshim from my Tbird???:eek:

Joe

1GB Mushkin Hi-perf DDR PC2100 (2 x 512)
AGP: ATI Radeon 128MB DDR VIVO
PCI: ATI Xpert 128
Win XP Home
40GB WD Caviar Ultra ATA100 7200RPM
40GB Maxtor Ultra ATA100 7200RPM

Why would you want to ?
Use the forum search for debates on Shims and lots of anti-shim rantings from myself :D

Aha....When I built the last system I got the impression from (who can remember now?) that I wanted a shim to ensure good even contact and to avoid squishing and cracking the die.

If you say go without, I'll go without.

Anybody disagree???? Going once......

The die is not as fragile as you think, my AX-7 w/ a fan on top of it practically bounced on my core when I tried to remove it and the clip slipped off. The CPU works w/o any problems (the 1200Tbird). I thought the chip was a gonner. Also the Super ORBs were known as CPU killers i removed it after like 30 mins of struggling, CPU worked fine. I personally think that if you know what you're doing you can do fine w/o a shim, also it might sound stupid but you should look at video number 4 or 3 here

Gone...... Going wihtout a shim. I've got a Gemini Cool Hi-vol CPU cooler. I had a Danger Den Maze3 block earlier. The Maze would make me nervous without a shim - its big, chunky, and heavy. The Gemini is fairly small and light by comparison.

Next post with the new gear......

shim = death.. atleast for me, i've crushed my amdxp, but from tbred design (rectangle) i don't think its as sensitive, but i don't mind putting a shim, don't know why you guys hate it so much..
Oh yea, Bensonjv, you got a gemini water block?, i just ordered one, is it better then dangerden in your opinion?
I got the low-volume one but rev2

oh geez this is nuts....if you have a shim definantly use it. I for one am using a shim myself. If you have it then there is no reason not to use it, its better to be safe than sorry. I purchased a brand new 1.33ghz Tbird back when they were the newest thing out, and didnt use a shim, as i was clamping on the hatsink i heard a small crack.....My core had freakin cracked before i even got a chance to turn the thing on for the first time, and not to mention it was an AXIA Y, which was the THE stepping to have back then. I was so mad. Ever since then ive used a shim and havent had another problem. Trying to make an argument about not using a shim is simply stupid, and somebody would have to have no life. The only thing that could be argued is to not use a copper shim or not. I use the gray anondized shim instead of the copper.

MOST people crack their cores due to blatant carelessness, like putting the heatsink on backwards or at an angle, etc.

Rarely does a core crack because it was just plain weak.

Oh, and a chipped core can work just fine. I've seen quite a few cores with chipped edges from poor installations....

Back