• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Clean Case (inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetNinja489

Registered
I am considering to use fan filters on my case fans because its been a few months since I opened my case and I saw there is MASSIVE dust build up.

My question is, which type of filter constrains more air flow? Plastic? or Aluminum? or is there another type that I have never heard of?

Aluminum restrict less air and catch more, but are harder to clean and more expensive. Plastic are easy to clean, but restrict about 40% of the air flow from the case, and are very easy to clean. My pc is in the basement and my fan filters are pratically full every 4-5 days.

If you want to check out somewhere like wal-mart over where they have the air conditioning filters. They sell this large amount of air filter material...it's kinda grayish-black in color...and that's what I use. Doesn't restrict the airflow as much as those plastic ones you buy and keeps a lot of the dust out. Not very pretty though...so I only use it where they can't be seen. Maybe you could come up with a homemade filter that is prettier...if you have lots of time on your hands..

ajensenlsu said:
If you want to check out somewhere like wal-mart over where they have the air conditioning filters. They sell this large amount of air filter material...it's kinda grayish-black in color...and that's what I use. Doesn't restrict the airflow as much as those plastic ones you buy and keeps a lot of the dust out. Not very pretty though...so I only use it where they can't be seen. Maybe you could come up with a homemade filter that is prettier...if you have lots of time on your hands..
This is what a lot of us use, it’s real cheap when you buy it in big sheets
Better “mesh filters” (aluminum, foam, wire ect.) catch more because the have smaller holes this restricts the air flow more than an larger holed filter (poorer quality). The more a filter picks up the more it will restrict as there will be less places for air to travel through , the only exceptions I have seen is the ionic type filters they use a magnetic collection grid

Obsidian said:
Cheap easy filet: Cut up some old nylons

Only one thing. Make sure you stretch the crap out of nylons. They will severely restrict airflow if you don't.

I've heard of people using fabric softener sheets (for the dryer) as filters, and they work well.

Those dryer sheets don't seem very good for air flow, and what about the stuff that's on them...the oils and whatever else they put on there? I don't know if that would make any difference with anything, but just doesn't seem good....I don't know.

Well, the people who use the dryer sheets claim they work well, and make the room smell good, too! Apparently, they need to be changed on a monthly basis, as they do clog up...

<news flash>
the new glade computer air freshener and filter... helps keep the stink out of you old computer now in two fresh scents "New Computer" and "New Computer + Pine" (
<news flash/>
:D :p :D :p

hehe nice product.

anyway I think I'll try nylon stockings first then try aluminum mesh but those ionic air cleaning filters do seem intriguing. I think I'll ask Sharper Image for some replacement filters that go in their ionic breeze air filtration systems and see how those work.

Sorry there is no real filter, its collection grids and they are electrically charged by the base station. I picked one up off eBay (Sharper Image direct) for $140 about 8 months ago so there not cheap but they work great! They do sell a bath room one that is real small but I don’t know much about it or even how well it works

Well, K&N use near-medical grade cotton gauze in thier car filters, so why not try the red oil they use on a cheap, thin cotton shirt/sheet? The oil would open up the airways a bit more (frayed fibers are no more), but get dust to stick to it like glue. And it would have a million-mile warranty... I also remember seeing a page where a guy used a regular paper-element automotive filter [14"x3", round] glued to the side of his case.

One thing about using higher restriction filters, if you use much more surface area, the restriction will be offset by a larger low flow vs a small high flow from a mesh filter. Also, thats more surface area that collects dust slower, but more efficiently and over a much larger area.

And if you want your case REALY clean, there is something you can get that scrubs all but elements and small compounds. Its the blocks of microscopic fossels used for scrubbing air for clean rooms and...people afraid of dust...

kimbahpnam said:
i say create an invention that will eliminate dust off the face of the Earth

Without dust mites we would be knee deep in skin cells within 6 months :cool:

Now thats an odd thought. (science teacher told me this last year)

A great filter solution - used dryer sheets (stuff like bounce). Cheap and hella effective!

Back