• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What The?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PriMoPyR0

Registered
Ok, I hooked my Computer up to a watt meter, It the kinda where you plug the watt meter into the wall and then you plug the device you want measured into the watt meter and it measure the wattage pull and displays it on a screen....

My question is, I have a 300 watt PSU and for some reason its only pulling 141-142 watts, and i have 4 harddrives 5 fans, and 2 cdroms all running, i was just wondering does a PSU acually pull the 300 watts from the wall or does it only need a little bit and boost it or whatever to its capacity in this case 300 watts.... I always thought a powersupply just split the power up but its looking like im wrong in this case...

I think you've answered why those Dells work fine with 150W PSUs because that 141-142W draw from the wall outlet means that the computer itself is sucking only about 100W.

Back