• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Boot Loader Raising My Blood Pressure_Help!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

I have an IBM HD that was once partitioned into two partitions and one with Linux (Mandrake 8.0) partition, the Lilo boot loader was in charge and everything was smooth, I was installing some software on the Win2000 partition when all of a sudden LiLo wont show up....I only get the initials LIL..whenever I try to load the OS. At first I thought I will just use FDISK to delete all the partitions, format and load WIN2K but this has not worked at all. All I get is the LIL...:mad:, when I look at the drive using partition magic I dont see any other partition except Fat 32, I am stuck and need help. How do I get ride of the LIL..without reinstalling Linux..?.Help please...I think it has to do with where the partions are located on the HD, but I have no experience with this.......

Did you make a LILO bootdisk, like it asked? If not then you'll have to use your install cd to boot the partition where you installed Linux. Since I don't use mandrake, I can't tell you exactly how it will look, but when you boot the cd I would imagine that there it an option that will allow you to pass parameters to tell the loader on the cd to boot the partitons.

But can I delete LILO bootloader with another software without bothering with Linux....?..is it possible?

Yeah. I think in windows the command is "fdisk /mbr". The problems it that you probably installed lilo in the MRB, and what you need to do is get Win2k to install its bootloader over that in the MBR. You might try using you Win2k CD to repair your installation, and see if that works.

I know the repair thing doesnt over write a new MBR in XP i tried it and im pretty sure it will be the same in 2K. The only way i got it to overwrite it again was to install windows again.

chris_4130 said:
I know the repair thing doesnt over write a new MBR in XP i tried it and im pretty sure it will be the same in 2K. The only way i got it to overwrite it again was to install windows again.

Odd, In Win2k it did it for me? Couldnt say about XP though....how I repair WinXP instalations is by installing 2k :p

If fdisk /mbr doesn't work, try booting the CD and going to the recovery console. From the recovery console type fixmbr. that should restore the win 2k or XP MBR.

mata2974 said:
But can I delete LILO bootloader with another software without bothering with Linux....?..is it possible?

In my experience, only linux can uninstall lilo. The way I do it is to put the linux install cd (usually cd 1) and then look for the repair options. Usually there are someoptions eighter to repair the bootloader, or restore the orginal windows mbr (Since when you install lilo it actually backs up the original boot record.)

Back