• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the amount of added help from ata 100 cables to 133?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What i wanted to know is my board support ultra ATA 133 is there a preformance benifit that would lead me to replace my old cables and put in 133 or is there not that big of a dif in preformance between 100 and 133.

You would need a 133 ATA hard drive to get the extra benifits from the 133 cables. But you would get improvement going from 100 to 133 if the hard drive supports 133. I do not know how much more improvement though. Probably can find some comparisons online.

ATA66, ATA100, and ATA133 cables are all 100% the EXACT SAME. there is no difference when changing from one cable to the next, because they are the EXACT SAME.

Did I mention that they are the EXACT SAME?

They are not the same the have dif speed but how mush improvement speed wise I dont know

You dont get the performance gain from the cables, but from going from, say, an ATA 100 Mobo, to an ATA 133, assuming u have an ATA 133 drive

K-Lo19832003 said:
They are not the same the have dif speed but how mush improvement speed wise I dont know
You are not listening... ATA100 and ATA133 use the SAME CABLES.

Might as well jump in and say it too :)

ATA66, 100 and 133 cables are all and the same. If you see someone advertising ATA133 cables it is simply a marketing ploy...nothing more. You can get higher quality cables but this still does not make them specifically ATA133 cables. 80-wire is 80-wire no matter how you look at it.

GotNoRice said:
ATA66, ATA100, and ATA133 cables are all 100% the EXACT SAME. there is no difference when changing from one cable to the next, because they are the EXACT SAME.

Did I mention that they are the EXACT SAME?

while its true that u can have an 80 strand ata66 cable they usually come in a forty strand cable while ata100 and 133 both require a 80 strand cable to even function. if you try to run them with a 40 strand cable they revert back to ata66.

In the voice of Homestar
"go blow it out your ear klo"
haha just kiddin K-LO
I didnt know they were the same cable, just assumed they werent but now I know

K-Lo19832003 said:
What i wanted to know is my board support ultra ATA 133 is there a preformance benifit that would lead me to replace my old cables and put in 133 or is there not that big of a dif in preformance between 100 and 133.

There is no difference from replacing the cables. There is a negligable difference when replacing ata100 drives with ata133 drives. In fact, the difference between ata66 and ata100 is small.

nikhsub1 said:

You are not listening... ATA100 and ATA133 use the SAME CABLES.

Cables are not the issue but no they dont use the same cables

He could have the old large AWG EIDE cable's in his box
hey if you do not have the realy realy skinny wire cables then get them & install them

the cables are marked with the wire gauge it should be marked
30AWG on the cable

Regaurdless of whatever your components are Id recomend using the 30 awg cables there not that expensive

the round ones are rather expensive, why I dont know its the same amount of wire nothing realy much harder in making them
I just think the industry is ripping us off

Lower the prices on round cables ya bastads

Last edited:
Back