• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX = 77db...9700pro = 68db.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
been reading some pages and stuff..just saw the noise ratings on the 9700. the difference between 68db and 77 db isnt much.these readings were taking 1" or less away from the fan...my cpu fan on full is 80+db i believe an inch away or so...

actually its a logarithmic scale, if i remember correctly for every ten decibels it is twice as loud.....but you are right, most hardcore ocers wouldnt mind(except the watercoolers), but i think Nvidia may have troubles convincing the Dells and Compaqs of the world that the noise is worth it.....also one of the reviews said that the FX at idle (2D) is as loud as the 9700 at full throttle.....

RangerJoe said:
been reading some pages and stuff..just saw the noise ratings on the 9700. the difference between 68db and 77 db isnt much.these readings were taking 1" or less away from the fan...my cpu fan on full is 80+db i believe an inch away or so...

Got a link to these numbers? And also, 9 db difference IS a big deal. The decibel scale works on a logarithmic function so even a point in difference makes a large difference in volume. It is not simply a linear scale. I don't know the exact equation but I believe something that is 10 decibels higher is roughly ten times as loud.

seems method man is right....here is what howstuffworks.com says:

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

funnyperson1 said:
seems method man is right....here is what howstuffworks.com says:

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

well, if its a logarithmic scale..that wouldnt be correct.because that way, its going up the same amount for every extra 10db. ive put together car stereos, and at 100db, thats when 10db+ is 10x louder..then when you get to 150db or so, 1 db+ is 10 times louder...

RangerJoe said:

well, if its a logarithmic scale..that wouldnt be correct.because that way, its going up the same amount for every extra 10db. ive put together car stereos, and at 100db, thats when 10db+ is 10x louder..then when you get to 150db or so, 1 db+ is 10 times louder...

It's not going up the same amount (linearly) every 10 points. It's going up a power every 10 points. Ie, 10 db = 1 X 10^1, 20 db = 1 x 10^2, and 30 db = 1 x 10^3.

RangerJoe said:
But the 9700 is completely enclosed in the computer case. So the noise heard by a person would be much less than the FX which has intake and exhaust ports.

its a closed case with the fx also..the intake/exhaust dont make any noise..only the fan does...its the same concept as the OTES by abit..they are not very loud, but it had intake/exhaust

RangerJoe said:
its a closed case with the fx also..the intake/exhaust dont make any noise..only the fan does...its the same concept as the OTES by abit..they are not very loud, but it had intake/exhaust

But the fact that it has the intake and exaust means u can clearly hear the fan since it is after all blowing the air outside the case, with the sound right along with it.

If anyone is curious about the sound levels and doesn't want to compare them first hand by listening to o77O's link then think of it this way:

The fan on the 9700 is your standard little fan running at standard rpms, it is as loud as your northbridge cooler or your old GF2. The fan on the FX runs at high RPM and is at least as loud as a delta screemer or tornado - it will be the loudest thing in your computer.

Hey, remember it's an auto-adjustable speed fan, which will only run at the higher rotation when playing games (using the 3d pipelines).

Back