• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Windows update uninstall??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XprincoX

bargain hunter
Anyone know how to uninstall a update installed my MS windows updater? Today my computer installed two updates:

811630: Critical Update (Windows 2000)

and

810847: February 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

And now my computer randomly has BSOD's. I checked in add/remove progs but didn't see these updates anywhere... Is there anyway to uninstall these updates or am i gonna be to format?? :(

I installed DirectX 8.1 for w2k and it broke my add/remove program (appwiz.cpl)

If you can uninstall IE6, you should also bea able to remove that patch with it.

I donno about the other.

Not certain in your case, but several patches are unremovable. You may be able to restore your old settings by booting into the Safe Mode menu, and then selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" and following the instructions. Also, you have a chance if you created an Emergency Repair disk.

yea its not in add/remove progs... but i just reinstalled ie6 and so far it looks like its fixed. :)

If you can find where the app folder resides, sometimes there's an 'unwise uninstaller' that you can tag to make it go away. Unfortunately those updates become part of the protected OS core files and aren't meant to be uninstalled. You might have to roll back to the last good configuration or run the repair option.

But it looks like you fixed it by reinstalling IE. IE has been set up to be part of the OS and anytime it hicupps, every thing else gets screwed up too.

&#%@*_M$!

XprincoX said:
Anyone know how to uninstall a update installed my MS windows updater? Today my computer installed two updates:

811630: Critical Update (Windows 2000)

and

810847: February 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

And now my computer randomly has BSOD's. I checked in add/remove progs but didn't see these updates anywhere... Is there anyway to uninstall these updates or am i gonna be to format?? :(

I checked 811630 and it's not removable (says so on MS's website). Idk about the IE6 patch, however.

hmmmm looks like its not fixed after all... still BSOD

Tho the BSOD error is showing "starting physical stack dump of memory" So i'm wondering if it could be my ram dying... hmmm

After you back all your important stuff, you can try to use the repair console off the CD. To uninstll updates, the only way that worked for me was an upgrade reinstall over the OS. Last time I did it, it was restored back to the original installation without the sp2 or IE6. Got rid of all the updates I did.

All my apps were still intact and installed for the most part. If it's hosed too much now to use, it might be worth the risk once you've backed up your data and custom configs.

I think a lot of those critical updates are more risky than the problems they're supposed to fix.

Last edited:
Back