• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slk-900 for 49 buck. Is it worth to get one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I depends if performance is everything sure go for it. If you prefer bang for the buck i say go SLK-800 or SK7 I my book can't go wrong with the SK7 for $20 still a great sink and less than 1/2 the cost.

Shawn

Why not wait a couple days for the reviews to start pouring in? Heatsink purchases for me are mainly price vs performance with a few other smaller factors mixed in. I'm thinking of getting this sink myself.

-Ken

I think the main issue is that the SLK 900 uses the motherboard mounting holes, thus you have to pull your motherboard out to install it the first time if you even have the holes on your motherboard. The SLK 800 uses a clip (with 3 "prongs") so you can just take your old heatsink off and put the new one on without pulling the motherboard out. Oh yeah, I think I read that the 900 can not use 60mm fans on AMD systems but you will want to use an 80mm+ fan on either of the 2 heatsinks anyway.

The performance difference between the two is (almost) nothing.

Bios, like I said in another thread similar to yours, I would recommend the SLK-800 ($30) or the SK-7 ($20) for any AMD processor over the slk-900 since performance is very similar but mounting will be a pain in the you know where since the slk-900 uses the mounting holes and each time you remove it, you'll need to remove your mobo from the case in order to mount it back on.
So for me, the 2c-3c difference in performance isn't worth the extra work.

But the difference in temps won't even be that much, according to the heatsink rankings on the front page the 800 is .23 c/w and the 900 is .22 c/w. That means if your CPU is running at 100W the difference in temps would be only 1c and I dont think your CPU will be running at 100W. Even the SK7 is rated at 0.25, so it might run 1c hotter then the 800 or 900 given a normal wattage, the 800 may run 0.6c hotter then the 900 at a normal wattage.

It depends on what you want. Me personally, wanted the 4 mounting holes. I don't remove my HS all that often and prefer the extra stability of the holes. If you don't care if it is 4 hole or not get the cheaper one.

maxima88 said:
Bios, like I said in another thread similar to yours, I would recommend the SLK-800 ($30) or the SK-7 ($20) for any AMD processor over the slk-900 since performance is very similar but mounting will be a pain in the you know where since the slk-900 uses the mounting holes and each time you remove it, you'll need to remove your mobo from the case in order to mount it back on.
So for me, the 2c-3c difference in performance isn't worth the extra work.

You do not have to remove the mobo every time you want to take off a hsf that uses the 4 holes around the socket unless you are a totally incompetent person who jams the darn tension screws too tight. They are much easier and safer than a clip system, IMO, and I own both types of heatsinks, clip mounted and the 4 holes mounted. I really get sick and tired of people posting misinformation about this here, trying to scare people away from what is arguably the safest mounting system for AMD heatsinks.

muddocktor said:

You do not have to remove the mobo every time you want to take off a hsf that uses the 4 holes around the socket unless you are a totally incompetent person who jams the darn tension screws too tight. They are much easier and safer than a clip system, IMO, and I own both types of heatsinks, clip mounted and the 4 holes mounted. I really get sick and tired of people posting misinformation about this here, trying to scare people away from what is arguably the safest mounting system for AMD heatsinks.

If you read the SLK-900 review in our very own overclockers.com Heatsink Review, the reviewer, who I figure has removed/installed heatsinks hundreds of times and has seen almost every kind of h/s ever made , says this about mounting this h/s:

For AMD use, users must remove the motherboard - the SLK-900-U uses the backing plate and spring-loaded bolts.

Maybe you'd like to write up a tutorial about mounting/removing this type of h/s without removing it from the mobo to make it easier for others.

If the SLK-900 outperformed the SK-7 by something like 8C then I would say yes it is worth the price. But for $20 you just cannot beat the SK-7.

Well I am sold...SLK900 here we come...In the instructions for the Swiftech MCX462 they tell you to use crazy glue on the standoff's and on the nuts...Just be sure you have them centered and make sure you can start all four screws before super glueing them to the board...I have never done this...the trick is to tighten the screws in a criss cross manner and do not tighten them past where they stop...First time installing a Alpha 8045T I tightened the screws in maybe 1/4 turn past where they stopped and only one of them came loose when I removed the heat sink to install the temp probe for a Enermax Temp Monitor rack...I just do not like the idea of having a 550 gram chunck of copper or aluminum "clipped" to my motherboard...:D

If you have experience both SK-7 and Slk-800, which you think have better performance?

I get a Slk-800 and tested on my AGIUA 1800+ with no different compare to my Volcano 7+.. So, i can't trust damn review..

For SLK-800, i used Volcano 9+ 80mm fan with 4800 rpm and compare my Volcano 7+ 4800 rpm.. Result: One 1C different on 3 diffferent tested.

maxima88 said:

If you read the SLK-900 review in our very own overclockers.com Heatsink Review, the reviewer, who I figure has removed/installed heatsinks hundreds of times and has seen almost every kind of h/s ever made , says this about mounting this h/s:

For AMD use, users must remove the motherboard - the SLK-900-U uses the backing plate and spring-loaded bolts.

Maybe you'd like to write up a tutorial about mounting/removing this type of h/s without removing it from the mobo to make it easier for others.

Look, I'm not flaming you, but the only time the motherboard needs to be removed from the case is on the original install, not on any subsequent removal or re-install. Do I know what I'm talking about; yes, because I own 2-Swifty MC462's and an Alpha PAL8045. I regularly pull my hsf's off to clean them and never do I have to pull the mobo to do this! So yes, I do know what the heck I'm posting, d00d.;)

Hookem, if you buy the SLK900, please post up your experience with mounting it and also how well it cools as that looks like a great hsf. I also have 3 SLK800's I'm using presently and I've found them to be great heatsinks for clip type heatsinks. Thermalright definitely makes some great products. If I were presently in the market for 1 high quality heatsink, I would definitely buy the SLK900 to try out myself.

Hmmmm, I think for now you're better off buying a SLK800. It is real cheap for one, 30.00 and the fan is about 15.00 and if you add that to the SLK900, the difference would be 20.00. I personally don't think it is worth it unless you are going with a rather quiet system.

I also recommend it because after months with the Alpha PAL8045, it was very frustrating having to deal with standoffs, washers, screws and all that. You lose one you have to go order it from Alpha just to make sure that it is the right piece rather than going to a hardware store.

muddoctor, I don't know how you didn't remove your motherboard unless you like cut a hole in the back where all the four holes were because it is impossible to unscrew those screws out from the standoffs without unscrewing the standoff from the nut in the first place. For many motherboards it could be dangerous too since you don't want the things, especially the standoff grinding against your motherboard.

If you are worried about the standoffs turning on the mobo, just get some self-locking nuts like Swiftech is presently sending with their MCX462+ heatsinks now. Here is a picture of the nuts. As a matter of fact, that is a Swiftech mobo mounting hardware kit, which will also work just fine with an Alpha PAL8045 too. I don't know about the new SLK900 though as I'm not sure of their hardware, but I would be surprised if it wouldn't also work on the SLK900 too.

Why did they only use a 60cfm 92mm fan in the review? It should be tested with the Tornado 92mm.

mr1337pants said:
Why did they only use a 60cfm 92mm fan in the review? It should be tested with the Tornado 92mm.

Probably would not have made a huge difference. I think it was there to see how well that heatsink does with low cfm fans and I doubt people are going to be running 92mm Tornados. That's really pushing it if you want your hearing lost :)

Its also the same fan that was used on the slk 800 and a few of the other top performers, it makes for a better comparison of the heatsinks themselves if they use the same fans.

Am I reading this wrong or what ???

"quote from above link"
Includes: (4) Stainless steel standoffs (10) Black Fiber washers for motherboard, you will only need 4 (4) 6-32 Hex Lock-Nuts for motherboard

Surely they include the nuts also...what do you guys think ??? Seems they would have to be fairly thin locknuts...Geezzz that cannot be right...:rolleyes:

Back