• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who's in charge---slot-t or bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

does anyone know whether the bios' settings for voltage and bus speed settings are followed first or the slot-t's settings----what's the heirarchy?

right now the slot-t is set for 100 mhz bus and 1.5 volts

and

the bios of the soyo-6ba+iv is set for 133 mhz bus and "normal" volts---the voltage and temperature readings in the bios broke a long time ago---but the cpuid says the chip is running at 1470 mhz but i don't know the volts----i want to know what's the best way to increase the volts to possibly go FASTER! anybody have any suggestions?

bios. congrats, looks like you got a strong chip. re voltage, the slot t tells the board the default, and then you get the bios range of adjustments on that.

if you can't up the v in the bios, what are the increments on the slot t? ideal would be between 1.5-1.7v. my 1.1a default is 1.45 and it likes running at 1.65; like your converter i got 1.5 as default in the bios.

thanks, and congrats on your chip too

so you're saying that i could leave the settings on the slot-t alone (1.5 and 100) and change stuff on the bios and that overrides the slot-t?---so then if i set the voltage in the bios to +10% the voltage would be 1.65 (like yours) and then maybe I could run faster---1.65 Ghz or something?

Also, this brings up an interesting question---if 1.65 v is fine with these chips, why do we need a "special" slot-kit----maybe all we would need is a slot-1 to FCPGA convertor, yes?---because our default voltage is 1.65 on these boards right?

the cpu tells the board the default voltage, and the problem is that fcpga2 has a different pin pattern that our fcpga boards cannot read. you can pin mod or throw in an adapter that pin mods for you, and then your motherboard can read the cpu. the upgradeware converters tell the mb that default is 1.5v. i like that, you get a little extra v options :) although 1.7 and 1.75 did not help my cpu any.

you should be able to raise the v 10% and get some extra fsb for sure. have fun, let us know how it goes...

here's the deal on this chip so far

ok, so here's the deal on the new chip...

i tried +10% volts (on bios) and 139 fs bus (1525 mhz) and it seems fine doing everything so far---without the voltage increase it was no good....also i tried higher fsbs and it would not boot---bsod or weird symbols on the screen or the screen stated "cmos errors, booting in safe mode)----i think, although i'm not sure, that the cheap graphics card is holding it back----agp maybe doesn't like higher than 92 or so----i think this because both previous p-3 chips couldn't do more than 139 fsb (600e did 139 fsb and 700 topped out at 135 fsb)----but i'm not sure----what do you think?

allright...i think it will go higher. what video card are you using? also, try setting your ram back to cas3. (my guess is it is ram if it is at cas2) what all do you have plugged into your pci slots? what hd do you have? also, run a few benches where it is stable and then try bumping the fsb.

setup

i have diamond s3 trio 3d (8 mb)---probably a piece of ****---you see, i don't play any games---i mostly do office apps, and photoshop on images collected from a microscope for my work---i have a 20 gb ibm deskstar or something 7200 rpm---i have 10/100 ethernet card and soundblaster live 5.1---

i will try the cas3 thing----but i think cas2 even at slightly lower fsbs might be faster than cas3 at higher fsbs---what do you think?

ok----so i tried setting the memory to cas3 and it didn't help---this thing will not boot past 139 fsb at 1.65 volts---still i think it can be the graphics card---it's a cheap diamond A55 speedster (8 mb)---looks like i'll have to settle for 139 and 1525, which is definitely noticeably faster than my p3 at 933---all for just 60 bucks and some time...

if you don't play games on this machine, then why even bother with an AGP card?
just use a PCI vid card.
i'm not familiar with your mobo, but it's probably got a 1/4 PCI divider. and at 139fsb it'll barely be out of spec. which might allow you to go a bit higher.
of course it could be your ram. :D

yeah i guess it could be the ram---but the thing is---the ram is very high quality---infeon chips that are all 7 ns pc 133 cas 2---that's some good *&*$, you know?

that doesn't mean it can run above spec. :D

some PC133 will easily run above spec, my hyundai runs 145fsb cas3, but some ram will just crap out if you go even a little above 133fsb.

maybe you're right---but i definitely am not buying any more ram---just to get a few mhz---i think maybe it's the chip---the average 1.1a seems to go about what mine does anyway...

i don't know, sounds like you have good ram. maybe go out and throw down some cash for video card. even a $30-40 gf whatever will be an improvement, and handle whatever bus speed you want to plug through it, and you can use one anyway! if you want to go big you can grab an r8500 for ~$80-90, that would be a good match for your system.

hey looktall, the first university i was accepted to was western australia institute of technology. the only thing that kept me from emigrating was lack of $$. i went to florida instead, as far away from where i grew up as i could get and still stay in the states for financial aid. had i gone to Perth i suppose i would have ended up a surf bum instead of a ski bum. tons of aussies working here at the resort where i live...:)

yeah---i think it's the gcard too---also when i try to go over 139 fsb the screen isn't always black on post---sometimes it displays a weird repetitive symbol or something---i think graphics issues...

also, logos and falk---do you guys have any ideas about the powersupply issues i raised in other posts?

logos said:

hey looktall, the first university i was accepted to was western australia institute of technology.

it's now called curtin university.
it hasn't been known as WAIT for a very long time.

damn!! you must be OOOOOOLLLD!! :p :D

i still think an AGP card is a waste of time.
if you're not needing the high end graphics, just go for a PCI card.
you can still find the odd PCI radeon 7500 floating about.

looktall said:

it's now called curtin university.
it hasn't been known as WAIT for a very long time.

damn!! you must be OOOOOOLLLD!! :p :D

i still think an AGP card is a waste of time.
if you're not needing the high end graphics, just go for a PCI card.
you can still find the odd PCI radeon 7500 floating about.

yep, that would have been about 86-87. curtin university, where they come up with that? university of W.A. sounds better to me...of course, my alma mater is university of WA.!

aren't you aware that those high CPU-Frequenzes like 1.5 GHz might be "a bit" too high for Slot 1 Boards to handle ?

Back