• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please, Busted Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben Cole

Just today noticed that when my video card tries to handle complex 3D stuff it just produces rubbish.
When running dxdiag it fails the tests miserably on 3D...just produces a flickery screen.
I reinstalled the drivers and direct X...it works for a short while then fails again.
The card is a 3D prophet 4500 tv out. When I put my 3D prophet 4500 (non tv out) it works perfectly so it must be the video card!!!!
Any ideas what is wrong??? Could I have cooked it?
I wouldnt think have thought so as the highest I have had the FSB is 112 and havent played with the voltage at all.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Ben.

you must have got the card i got a while ago, i had the same problems, would run 2d apps fine but whenever i tried 3d, like UT it just gave me aload of green and purple shyte.

Try some new drivers?

Surprised it is fried at only 112 FSB oh well....
Luckily I didnt get rid of the non TV version when I got it!!!!

My 9700 pro did that after one day( only 3 weeks old) after hearing a bad grinding noise. Come to find out the fan fried.
It would run desktop fine, load a game boom , lockup.
I ordered a thermaltake 9700 cooling kit and replaced the stock system, it would run but had horrible artifacting.
When I declocked the card from 325/310 to 300/300 it runs fine in all games no artifact.
I ended up ordering a new one( different brand lol) to replace it, and will RMA this one for a refund after I get it.
I already talked to the place I bought it from all thru this so they have no issues that it was modified.
Declocking it some might buy you some time to replace it though.

I notice that it seems to work fine if I put it to AGP 1x....
would it be better to knock the clock speed down????

Really all I want to know is whether the card is buggered or not as I have another card which is the same but no TV out.

video warranty void from adding heatsinks?

hmm.. my problem is similar but not as severe.. DXDIAG runs flawlessly but i get weird sudden lock ups with the screen turning into a big page of artifacts..

I can't recall what the default clock settings on my card are but I think i have it slightly overclocked.. or maybe it came overclocked from Gainward..

anyone recall what the settings are?

do u guys know if adding ramsinks and aftermarket GPU fans will void your warranty?

Back