• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Wont boot up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hot

Registered
Hi all,
I just got my new pc:
KA266-R Mb
1.0 gig AMD /266
Elsa geforce 2 mx
256 Mb ddr 2100 ram
After putting everything together, i try to boot it up but the computer doesnt boot up. Would anyone tell me why? The motherboard doesnt have a videocard onboard. I dont know if the mb recognizes the VGA videocard i got. Steps to get this computer up and running would be so much appreciated!

P.S. I read the Iwill booklet many times. But not sure what i did wrong.
Thanks,

When you attempt to boot up the PC, does anything at all happen?

Any beep codes?

Is your motherboard properly mounted..IE not shorting, and all jumpers, connections etc. checked and re-checked?

Is your system showing any signs of life at all? Fans spinning, etc.?

T

Maybe u didn't plug in the power switch correctly, but if ur fans r moving then it's something else..

Yeah, the fans are working fine,
I dont know y the motherboard doesnt recognize the video card. Is the motherboard support to detect the AGP videocard automaticly?
Or may be the ram doesnt compatible? i got 256 DDR MB crucial ram.

P.S. Any KA266-R owner here? please help me out! Please!

The following are the steps that I would take, trying to get the machine to boot.

Re-check all connections, and check them again.

Is your motherboard properly mounted upon it's stand-offs?

Your RAM should be fine, unless faulty, or incorrectly seated in the socket(s) Press the sticks into the sockets hard at both ends but carefully until the latches at both ends close. If you have more than one stick, try booting with just one at a time to isolate the possibility that one is a problem.

CPU is not seated in the socket correctly. Take it out and put it on again. Make sure that when you put the socket bar down that the CPU is and remains flush on the socket. while your there, check for burn marks, or discoloration. Make absolutely certain that the heatsink is properly attached and seated.

AGP card is not seated in the socket correctly. It may look like it but sometimes it is not. Press hard and carefully. Try unscrewing the card from the slot-sometimes the card tilts while being screwed in.

Lastly your power supply. I see that it is omitted from your list of specs. Is it AMD approved?

Good Luck,

T

1 other thing to check. Some motherboards require a CPU fan attached to the fan header before they will boot. This is a protection mechanism for the CPU.

also the kk266 has an error in the manual make sure you are putting your ram in the dimm 0 slot by looking on the mobo not the manual. It should work anyhow but some mobo's are weird.

Yup, i did all of the above, but the pc still wont boot
I wonder if is a videocard problem (it's a retail).
Does the motherboard detect the videocard automatically?

I know that you have already checked, but mostly those porblems come from fans not plugged into the correct plug/ram not seated correctly/cpu not seated well/of a PCI no seated well/ this is just an idea- maybe then fan that you have is plugged in correctly, but what if the fan is bad and wont turn it self on then the computer wont boot-like its thinking that the fan is not plugged -therfore for safety the comp wont boot-just a thought

Maybe the mobo is a dud?
Did you scratch any tracks on the mobo while installing?
Maybe you got some static on it, and it's dead.

But just tell the mobo company to send ya a new one.

What makes you think the problem is with the video card?

Disconnect everything except one stick of RAM, the video card and the keyboard: all cards, extra RAM, drives, the moose. Yes, even the moose. Now boot away. If it still doesn't boot, switch the RAM. If it still doesn't boot, switch the video card. If it still doesn't boot, take your CPU to another machine (rather than borrowing someone else's CPU.) If your CPU works in the other machine, it's your MB if it doesn't then obviously it's your CPU.

If you're currently trying to OC, you might could raise the Vcore. Alternatively, try a less aggressive OC.

I read the manual many times, but not sure if i understood everything, cuz i'm new to this kind of stuff.
I think may be i set the jumpers wrong. Does anyone here own a KA266-R? Please help me out with the jumper setting (I dont wanna use the RAID for now). I there's an extra wire from the case and i dont know where to stick it into (either "sleep" or "reset", not sure witch one). Please help!
THANKS you all.

BTW, dont take what liquidfushion said lightly... My Abit KT7 133A Raid WOULD NOT BOOT at all, and this was becuase my fan was pluged into the fan slot by the ram, and not by the cpu. Even though the fan was running, there was no fan pluged into the cpu fan slot, and so it basically as a safty procedure would not boot becuase it didnt think it had a fan. Read the manual about your fan conectors, usually it will say something like "cpu fan" is number J4 or some ****, look it up and find out which one the cpu fan is. If its not in your manuel, just try it with the fan pluged into a new slot every time, usually theres only like 3 or 4 fan slots anyways.

i had a VERY similar situation....and i was 100% convinced it was my video card...the monitor was flashing green...which is what it DOESNT do normally...i went through all the checking proecures....all cables in poperly, all cards isolated to bare minimum, CPU is was in fine.......but....a BIG BUTT....my mate, who knows jack **** about comps said "maybe its shorting"....and i thought "bollocks!".......so...............i thought "ah.......i think..noo.......it wont.....oooh....hang on......its.....nope.....ur,..........AHAH!!....i had screwed in too many of those studs than the motherboard sits on, and there were two touching near the CPU on the underside of the motherboard.......i removed these two studs, put everything back together, all cards and cables, and ....yep.....it still didnt boot up!!!!....only kidding! ...of course it booted up...im a genius.....i then went for a pint at the local to celebrate....i though my comp was completely a-holed.........................oh well....even if this didnt help, im sure you and all others enjoyed my sweet little succesful story about a man and his computer......till next.....good night.

I have a ka-266-r and mine wouldnt boot the first time I tryed it either

make sure you have that memory pushed it hard even if it staps in push it down hard atleast thats what I had to do to get mine to boot and you may try shorting out the CMOS to reset your bios

good luck=]

Hey, WarLord!
Can u tell me wat is your jumper setting? I changed the jumpers around, now i dont know what its default was.

But lets me check out the ram again!
Thanks you'all.

P.S. About the front panel buttons, do i need to connect every single one (the front panel buttons)? Or do i just need the Power On/Off wire to be connected?

You're still not telling us what we need to know!! So let me state it again . . .

Are you getting any beep codes? Do your drives spin up? Do your fans turn? Are all of your cards and your RAM properly seated? Is your HD set to MASTER and on the PRIMARY IDE (or ATA) chain? These are things that we need to know so that we can help you. Please tell us this.

Back