• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGH! wires....everywhere...cant..breath

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tuck that big slop behind your powersupply and you can cut off some of the extra floppy or zip power cord if you dont think you;ll need it, use the drive bays.

I had the same problem.

Here is a list of useful materials:

Small Zip Ties (about 30)
a flashlight

Find some time when you can sit down with it for like a half hour and unplug everything. After everything is unplugged, untangle it all and spend some time sorting the wires out, and make sure to route them the most efficient way possible. I Zip Tied my wires to the drive cage and the top of the mobo tray, but you can do it any way that is most appealing to you. Then keep doing routine checks every time you install/uninstall something and it should be fine.

-John-

;)

Good lord! Do yourself a favour and go to an automotive store and get some wire loom to keep your individual bundles of cables nice and tidy.

One word:

cable ties

er, make that two. :D

Seriously try being really meticulous about tying or even taping some of that wire to the side panels like what you would do with stereo wires if you couldn't wire them under the carpet or into the attic.

Couldn't he cut, strip, solder, black tap the wires to be shorter and to the point? Of course if you plan on using the PSU in another case then you'll have to do the same thing again. If you leave a couple of the power wires uncut/soldered then you can always use those if you need longer wires.

Cutting and soldering seem rather permanent. I think for re-usability it would be better to just do some meticulous tying/taping.

Well I'm really against not using solder on wires, because you don't want your wire just to come apart, not likely but for that extra few minutes you spend its worth it to be safe.

It really wouldn't be permanent, since he could always just cut off the solder joint, restrip then resolder on some more wire. There really shouldn't be an increase in resistance if you twist the two wires together first.

good thing im an electrical engineering student and they made us take 'soldering 101' :p but, i really dont wanna do that to my wires. i think ill just take a day to shut the thing off and do some detail cleaning work to it. i just jimi rigged my old cpu fan to my northbridge heatsink. so far, no noticable increase in performance, although i am now up to 1610 with a v9, and my temps are about 46C. not too bad for air. thanks for the suggestions, ill repost some clean pics when im done :D

flowrider said:
Good lord! Do yourself a favour and go to an automotive store and get some wire loom to keep your individual bundles of cables nice and tidy.

i concur!!
i have to do the same. just that i know it is going to take the better part of 2 hours or probably more. airflow will improve, you can bet dollars on that.

durrem said:

LMAO! That is brilliant!

John is right about the start. The first step to any clean up project is to unplug everything and put it back together in a logical order. That alone will eliminate a lot of your clutter.

Using electrical tape, looms or flexible sheathing will make your case look a lot cleaner, too, and possibly improve your cooling.

But by the looks of it, that's a really small case to begin with, isn't it? If so, your options are limited. There will be precious few places to hide your wiring and your components are stacked so close together its going to look cluttered no matter what you do.

BHD

I think the easiest way to clean up the wire look is sheathing of some type, either plastic or rubber. Also as for ATA IDE cables, just get the round variety, shrug off the controversy on which provides better performance because either way it is negligable.

If you dig around and look at some pictures of peoples setups you can get some good ideas.

Good luck!

The ties do come in handy in some situations, but I personally would just rather not hassle with cutting and rewiring all or most of my molex connectors. You never know when you will change configurations or positions and need that extra length you had prior.

Perhaps i should have said that before. My case is HUGE. its an antec soho server case. and i already have rounded ide and floppy cables. its sunday afternoon so i have lots of time to work on it, or if all else fails, get some hegde trimmers :D

You see that re-enforcement bar right below your PSU? It's hollow, and open on the side facing away from you. Any wires you have going to the back and to your CDROMs can be tucked in there. It's also deep enough to hide moles connectors in there.

Back