• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard DEAD, Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andrew1173

Registered
Motherboard or CPU DEAD, Please Help

Everything was initially working stable using Windows XP until I started to oc the system. At the end my motherboard or CPU was fried!

I have the following setup: Antec TruePower 330w, EPoX 8K5A3+ (latest bios), XP 2100 Tbred, Volcano 7+, pc2700, 2 40GB MAXTOR ATA133 for Raid, Gainward Geforce4 ti4200

There could be three reasons why this happened:
1. I purchased Samsung pc2700 memory w/ copper heatspreader at Buyaib.com, but after I fried my motherboard and removing the heatspreader, the memory was actually elixir pc2100 garbage memory.
2. I used the Wire Technique to unlock the 2100 tbred.
3. I purchased a fmi temperature monitor and placed the sensor near the cpu die. The fMI monitor was showing the cpu at 150F while the computer health screen in the bios showed the cpu at 101F. I ignored this issue.

NOTE: Voltage Lines were stable during all tests.

These configurations booted up successfull
-------------------------------------------------------

1. Fsb: 153, Vcore=1.65v, All other settings at default.
2. vcore=1.85v, All other settings at default.

These conditions wouln't allow my system to boot:
---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Fsb: 150, Vcore=1.75v, All other settings at default.
2. Fsb: 154, Vcore=1.65v, Vdimm=2.7v
3. Fsb: 154, Vcore=1.60v, All other settings at default.
4. Multiplier settings less than or greater than 13 all failed!!

When I did the last test: Fsb: 154, Vcore=1.60v, All other settings at default, I got a blue screen saying "A problem occured with your system, to prevent damage...." When I rebooted my machine, the system's powersupply was working including fans and lights. However, the motherboard LED 1 wasn't displaying any HEX codes or vga output. I reset the cmos, but still no luck.

Last edited:
Do you not have a spare cpu to check it out on? Thats the easiest way. ALso, put the cpu in another mobo.
Ive hear of problems with the wire trick- that may be the source of woe.

Sucks about the "pc2700" scam- Hope you are beating down the door of the place you got it from. Was it from BUYAIB perchance? I hear they are well known for that.

I placed the cpu in another machine and it works...so it's not the cpu. The memory and everything else checks out ok. So it's the motherboard that got fried... The question is why did this happen? I removed the wire from under the cpu and hopefully it won't damage my next board. Just to let you know the wire was just a little thicker than a hair.

but after I fried my motherboard and removing the heatspreader, the memory was actually elixir pc2100 garbage memory.

Doh!

Heck thats the first thing i do is look at the fine print.... Always good to wirte it down for future reference.

Back