• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sheet Metal Suppliers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coin

I'm looking for a decent sheet metal supplier in the UK :mad: Who'd have thought they were so damn hard to find?
I need sheet copper/steel or alumium (I can't make my mind up) to replace my cases rather batteres sides.
If anyone knows of a supplier preferably with a website please reply, thanks.:D

Call your local heating and air conditioning repairman and see where he gets the metal for his ductwork.

Companies that deal exclusively with wholesale clients, like metal brokers, often see retail advertising as a waste of money. But they also may not be overly interested in selling you ten pounds of sheet. Go in understanding that their real business is selling metal by the tonne, and your little deal is going to get in the way of that. Do you homework, have a very good idea of what you want, and don't waste their time. This isn't the place to learn how the gaugeing system works.

BHD

I'm not naive or stupid enough to expect a wholesale metal sheet suppliers to sell me a couple of metre square sheets. There are also a lot of hobby sheet metal suppliers but they usually only stock smaller metal sheets which would be of no use. I am simply asking if anyone knows of a supplier who holds the larger sheet sizes in stock.

You should try a display makers hardware shop. There is one near my house and they have even coloured aluminum sheets.

I work in a metal workshop and we sell off cuts of steel and aluminium to people who come in to us. If there is any metal workshops close to you , try them as they would have a lot of off cuts .

Thanks for the last two positive suggestions, time to go a begging :):)

coin said:
I'm not naive or stupid enough to expect a wholesale metal sheet suppliers to sell me a couple of metre square sheets. There are also a lot of hobby sheet metal suppliers but they usually only stock smaller metal sheets which would be of no use. I am simply asking if anyone knows of a supplier who holds the larger sheet sizes in stock.

Sorry for the error. I didn't realize you knew everything about sheet metal except where to buy it.

Actually, a wholesale supplier would probably be glad to sell you a couple of meter square sheets. The company I used to work for did it all the time for hobbyists. My favorite customers were artists.

What we dreaded were the four or five calls a week from someone who knew their project down to the last detail, but didn't have the first clue about how sheet metal is sized and sold, or the working qualities of different alloys.

I was trying to save you from that embarassment. My mistake.

BHD

Fair enough, know the feeling about overly prepared underknowledged customers :( Although I will admit that the thickness grading standards did throw me for a bit:rolleyes:

Back