• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7v8x Faq & Answers !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rotary-Motion

hi all

I am just trying to get a sticky of HARD facts for the A7V8X mobo!

I see the A7N8X boys are taking over here :) and there are a few of us who have this board the A7V8X, but to find out info and pitfalls or successes and O/Cing for best settings is very hard to find on here!

So if the powers that be can make a "sticky" for us we can log all info for us here! for quick reference...

Thx all start logging guys its our fact sheet !!!:)

PS my mobo comes tuesday with my xms corsair pc3500 512, and my amd 2800 xp cpu!:eek: :cool:

"get those facts here! READ ON..."

1st question?

Hi

i have a question about sata 150 i have an adaptor coming tuesday to use EIDE hd's on the sata 150 would this be a better and faster option than using the normal eide channel?

anyone useing this now?

Also is it true what i hear about this mobo and the amd 2800 being "unlocked"? so you can tune the fsb to what you want

Thank you.......:rolleyes:

Ok really stupid question. If I decide to buy this mother board (good or bad idea) for some reason I got it into my head that I will need to install two sticks of RAM, instead of one. Is there any truth to this?

Thanx

hi

i think in lower ram timing you can have 2 or 3 but with xms corsair i am geting at pc3500 you can only use one for the speed!

thx.......

Well the manual states that the faster the ram, the less ram sockets are used.

"DDR400 SUPPORTS ONE (1) SOCKET ONLY"
"DDR333 SUPPORTS TWO (2) SOCKETS ONLY"

Just got the board today!

BIG-O-2 said:

Hi thx for that!

i cant get my new ram xms pc3500 and my mobo a7v8x till the cpu turns up tuesday! there getting the amd 2800 xp they just come in here, dont know if there out over the usa?

thx.................

ok, i was thinking of getting the Corsair Twin XMS 3200LL, but i guess i should go for the TWIN XMS 2700LL then for the dual channel?

i see a lot ppl going w/ 2 sticks of xms 3200...hmmm

BIG-O-2 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be your FSB is limited to 166 if you use more than one stick, no matter what the specification of your RAM is?

If you have a 333 mobo you should be able to use all available slots at the rated speed. Else why the third slot if you cant run the chipset at the rated speed of the chipset?

hi

what i know is that the xms pc3500 ram i am getting for the a7v8x mobo can only use one stick for it to run at 434Mhz...

thats why i didnt buy 256 ram i thought i would get double to 512 as i can only ever use one stick at 434mhz...

i think i read that you can use all 3 slots if using pc2700 333Mhz?

thats the boards normal running speed i think?

thx.......

A problem I've had with this board is the maximum stable fsb . I'm at 187 right now. At 188, my bios doesn't even load up. Says something about bios disk...or something like that. A couple of times it loaded, but the words were LITERALLY scambled. Couldn't read sh*t. Anyone know the cause of this? And why at 188?

I konw this is when the pci bus is at 38mhz,but it should handle higher than that!

If I had to make the choice again, I wouldve spent the extra cash on a nforce2 board.

jlin453 said:
A problem I've had with this board is the maximum stable fsb . I'm at 187 right now. At 188, my bios doesn't even load up. Says something about bios disk...or something like that. A couple of times it loaded, but the words were LITERALLY scambled. Couldn't read sh*t. Anyone know the cause of this? And why at 188?

I konw this is when the pci bus is at 38mhz,but it should handle higher than that!

If I had to make the choice again, I wouldve spent the extra cash on a nforce2 board.

Hi there,

Can you give us some more details on spec? what can you run stable on? to what speed? also 187xwhat? is that 12.5?

what sytem do you have? ram etc?

thx.....

Rotary-Motion said:

Hi there,

Can you give us some more details on spec? what can you run stable on? to what speed? also 187xwhat? is that 12.5?

what sytem do you have? ram etc?

thx.....

it's all in my sig.

but anyways,

11.5x187 = 2150mhz on air cooling
Sunon Tornado @7V and ax-7 = full load of 46-47C

Here's the Problem?

I have a new Athlon 1100 fsb 200 and this mobo A7V8X, I get core volts of 1.85 at auto or if I set it to 1.75 manually. I tried messing with the over volt jumper and it went to 1.90 volts. Is this a known problem or should return the mobo to the store I got it from and get another mobo. I have not tried my Duron chip yet. I am looking for a XP chip and if it overvolts like this I will have problems cooling the thing. The Athlon 1100 is at 56c right now under normal loads and it will hit 63c on high loads.

Any thoughts on the reason why the core volts would not read 1.75 like chip is supposed to read?

Thanks,

Re: Here's the Problem?

Well looks like this mobo automatically overvolts the cpu.... my xp2600+ should run 1.65V but A7V8X gives me 1.75!! And I can't set any lower than 1.65V from bios (which results to 1.75V) So you've same problem... if any1 know biosversion which allows lower than default voltage for cpu, plz reply.

BIG-O-2 said:
I have a new Athlon 1100 fsb 200 and this mobo A7V8X, I get core volts of 1.85 at auto or if I set it to 1.75 manually. I tried messing with the over volt jumper and it went to 1.90 volts. Is this a known problem or should return the mobo to the store I got it from and get another mobo. I have not tried my Duron chip yet. I am looking for a XP chip and if it overvolts like this I will have problems cooling the thing. The Athlon 1100 is at 56c right now under normal loads and it will hit 63c on high loads.

Any thoughts on the reason why the core volts would not read 1.75 like chip is supposed to read?

Thanks,

Back