• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Athlon XP cores all the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calvus

I'll talk about Tbred B cores, for example... there are all these ratings: 1700, 1800, 2100, 2400, 2700, etc... do they all use the exact same core, as in the only thing that differs between the $50 1700+ and the $300 2700+ are bridge settings or peripheral structure of the chip (cooler in some way for higher procs)?

XP cores

That's pretty much it.. Some of the lower speed models use less default voltage. Also they all come from different batches at the factories and the head honcho on the line is tweaking each batch to improve the yield of functional silicon. Some batches are better than others and pass tests at higher speeds, hence they are marked as high-end chips. But they sell more of the lower and mid speed models, so often you find a chip from a batch that could have been a really high-end model marked down into a 2100+ for instance.

The best common Tbred B stepping code to look for at the moment is AUIHB.

Re: XP cores

Arkaine23 said:
That's pretty much it.. Some of the lower speed models use less default voltage. Also they all come from different batches at the factories and the head honcho on the line is tweaking each batch to improve the yield of functional silicon. Some batches are better than others and pass tests at higher speeds, hence they are marked as high-end chips. But they sell more of the lower and mid speed models, so often you find a chip from a batch that could have been a really high-end model marked down into a 2100+ for instance.

The best common Tbred B stepping code to look for at the moment is AUIHB.

Dont you mean AIUHB?

OC-Master

Yeah what Arkaine said is true.

When they make them they pretty much shoot for all them to be 2400+ (let's say for argument sake)

So they start too test them and they look for chips that will run at a certain heat range and a certain voltage and run stable. If it can't achieve this they clock it down some and test again.

So now that 2400+ just turned into a 2200+ and is tested again. If it still doesn't pass the test it turns into a 2100+ and so on........

Get the picture?!?!?
Rob

well I guess the T-breds are good enough that even the crappiest, made into 1700+, are still OC'ing to a pretty good height...

But in the factory, do the chips really have that range of difference... seems like a wide range, but then again the cores are so damn complex youd expect some variation (i guess?)

Calvus said:
well I guess the T-breds are good enough that even the crappiest, made into 1700+, are still OC'ing to a pretty good height...

But in the factory, do the chips really have that range of difference... seems like a wide range, but then again the cores are so damn complex youd expect some variation (i guess?)

sometimes it's slightly lower quality silicon/copper, sometimes a slow transistor whatever it is they only test a few in a batch and mark them all at the highest possible speed

Back