• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POWMAX sucks starts a leaf-blower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ct. Strangelove

I purchased a POWmax 400watt PSU to power a peltier. it claims 25 amps on 12v but i guess the 226 tec is too much. no biggie. then i use it as a real PSU for a tyan 1.7p4 / one HD and two fans. the 5v rail is 3.99v WHOA!!! the 12v rail is 11.5 (acceptable). Hot dog, the 5 rail sucks. I but more load on the rails with no avail. I think i got a bad one, because another fellow claims he has a 226 tec (alone) powered by the PSU.

My experience with the POWMAX 400watt.....

> > > > IT SUCKS < < < <

i could be a unlucky #$% beep @#$ beep

of course this is only MY experience. does anyone else have a POWMAX 400? if so what do you think?

but the classic saying "you get what you pay" for holds more water than an overflowing dike.

Powmax may be wimpy but not that wimpy because my 300W ran almost the same equipment, a 1.7 GHz Celeron in an ECS P4S5A, with no problems.

My Powmax 500 watt is sitting on a shelf because the 3.3 volts was all over the place. 2.2 to 3.7. makes a good paperweight.
:D

hrm2701 said:
My Powmax 500 watt is sitting on a shelf because the 3.3 volts was all over the place. 2.2 to 3.7. makes a good paperweight.
:D

2.2 to 3.7? That can't be good for your components. I've switched to Antec myself, though they are expensive. On the less expensive side, I've heard some good things about Sparkle and Fortron

My PowMax 500 runs perfectly powering my duallie. Solid rails and everything but I keep an eye on it just because of threads like these;)

insight here.... COMPUSA has traditionally had generic companies make their psu's. powmax happened to make the 500weatt one i bought. well it was a pos. random reboots here and there, and finally it died. i was under the false impression it was my motherboard, so i went and sold it to a local shop, only to figure out LATER it was my psu. GOD NOW MY P4 system is in shambles!

Leadman, Powmax, and Robanton are the same, but for some reason only the first two resemble one another. I don't think that Raidmax is related, but I don't know who makes them.

Kendan, thats nuts! Duallies! For a dual sys i would not risk it at all. I am glad at least one us is have a bit of good luck. For now i will proberly use my powmax to power some CCFLs and such.

Back