• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans bigger than 120mm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a 160mm fan. I would like one that is quieter than 33dB. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Do a search for Comair Rotron:

I have a couple of them (172mm) that are supposed to run at 24v but do fine at 12. I run them a bit lower with pots, so they are even quieter.

Thanks for the help. Now I have one more concern. The purpose of this fan is to cool a heatercore for watercooling. My goal w/ watercooling is to both get very good temps and also lower the noise of my system. So what I am worrying about is even if I find a fan that runs at 30db (are any 172mm fans that quiet?), all the air moving through the front of the case is going to make even more noise. So what should I do w/ my fan situation? Cut a hole in the front of the case for less air resistance? Just get a 120mm fan? Both? Or what?

I have an aluminum dragon cheiftec mid-tower.

PS. I was planning on getting this fan. But I wanted a bigger one to cool a bigger heatercore. How quiet can I get a 172mm fan w/ a rheostat? What kind would I need for a high powered fan?

PPS. I don't want to spend tooo much money...

Last edited:
That's basically the reason I bought the 172mm fan. To cool a HC.

As the fan gets larger, it can push/pull the same amount of air but at the same time get quieter. A 172mm fan running very quiet can still push 100+cfm.

I bought comair rotron patriot 172mm 24v and run it at 12v and I can't hear it. But I sure can feel the air. I'd guess at least 100CFM. Also, bigger fans work better against resistance (like a heater core) than smaller ones.

DeathONator said:
Thanks for the help. Now I have one more concern. The purpose of this fan is to cool a heatercore for watercooling. My goal w/ watercooling is to both get very good temps and also lower the noise of my system. So what I am worrying about is even if I find a fan that runs at 30db (are any 172mm fans that quiet?), all the air moving through the front of the case is going to make even more noise. So what should I do w/ my fan situation? Cut a hole in the front of the case for less air resistance? Just get a 120mm fan? Both? Or what?

I have an aluminum dragon cheiftec mid-tower.

PS. I was planning on getting this fan. But I wanted a bigger one to cool a bigger heatercore. How quiet can I get a 172mm fan w/ a rheostat? What kind would I need for a high powered fan?

PPS. I don't want to spend tooo much money...

You should compare CFM ratings. Determine how much air you want to move and then pick the appropriate fan. Now, 172mm fans will probably move more than you need, so you'd be looking at reducing the voltage provided. I am not sure what the relationship between voltage and CFM looks like for particular fans, but I guess it could be estimated.
Otherwise, I'd say a 120mm fan can move enough air and do so relatively quietly. I aim for 80-90 CFM for my heatercore, and I use a shroud to enhance performance, as well as to make it fit neatly.

Back