• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system built, but problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Experimental

Registered
I recently built a new system consisting of: Soyo Kt400 Plat., AMD 2000+, 256 Crucial DDR333 and 256 Mushkin DDR333, MSI G4 Ti4200 w/ 128 DDR, etc.

My problem is it keeps locking up. The hardware monitor says the CPU temp is 48* C, and the motherboard temp is 31* C. I've taken out one stick of the memory to see if that helps, and the lock ups keep coming. Theres really no consistancy to the lockups, other then if I have a number of things running. I've done the bios updates, and the driver updates for everything...

Any ideas on what can be done to get rid of this? Thanks for you help.

Brian

Just a couple of thoughts....

Until problems resolved and system stable, use only the Mushkin stick and put it in slot 1 0r 3. Soyo reports mem slots 1 and 2 share some traces and can cause funky behavior; with 2 sticks of memory use slots 1 and 3. Your PSU? What is it and how many watts? Initially lots of folks were havin' problems re-booting, bsod, lockups with anything under 350w and had to be a AMD approved gizzmo. I believe most of us run over 400w now and stable for KT400 Dragon, the higher the quality of the PSU, the better it seems and many of probs you describe were fixed with good PSU. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mongo

so it locks up in windows? (I'm assuming youre using windows)
what fsb x multiplier voltabe are you running at?
like Tuxonadrgon mentioned PSU wattage?

I am running Win XP, with an Antec Trueblue 480 watt PSU. All the FSB and CPU settings in the bios are set to auto. WCPUID shows that the bus is running @ 266, system clock @ 133, with a multiplier of 12.5, and CPU running @ 1.67ghz. Also, the voltages are running on auto under the bios. Hardware monitor shows Vcore @ 1.76v.

In trying to find a cause for the problem...I took the side off of the case and put a round 12" fan next to it. The computer hasn't locked up once in 2 days. The motherboard temp didn't seem to drop much at all, the CPU seemed to drop quite a bit, and I can't tell the temp differences in the ram and the video card. Kinda weird since I have a new aluminum case with 5 80mm fans, and wrapped cables.

I am still using the stock heatsink and fan with the thermal tape that came on the bottom of it. I am thinking of going to the SLK 900 with an 80mm fan on it and of course using Arctic Silver 3. Aside from keeping the fan next to the case and the case open 24/7, any other suggestions?

Thanks for the responses and advice. I do appreciate it.

Brian

the only thing that caught me attention was the stock heatsink especially the thermal tape, it is through experience that i realized that stock usually sucks to be blunt, I would highly recommend you get the slk 900

Back